Starting out in 10M

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Head

Starting out in 10M

Post by Head »

Hello

I was wondering how old a child should be to start in 10m Air Rifle? I would like my son to start. Also what would be some good theory for me to read so I know how to start him right. Is there a rifle that will work for a starter and competition?

Thanks.
sbrmike

Post by sbrmike »

PA 4-H has 8 years old as the minimum age. That is a good age. The Daisy 853 or 753 are accurate enough for sure but kind of heavy and you will be doing the pumping for quite a few years for the child. You may also need to cut the stock shorter. They also have a CO2 version, the 888.

We used the Crosman 2000 when they first came out. They were a nice gun but not accurate enough at all. They have since started making those with Lothar Walther barrels and that should have done the trick. I have no experience with them since the barrel change, but I would certainly give it a try. It is lighter and more adjustable than the Daisy 853 plus it is CO2 so there is no pumping.

I was at a FNRA banquet last night and they had a little Beeman CO2 with target sites. I bet it is cheap enough to try; if it is accurate enough it should work for awhile, but it looks like a very small, basic beginner model.
Head

Post by Head »

Thanks for the info..I have a Crossman 2000, the older one, I will try to start with that. It may be a bit too big but I may have to wait a while until he is bigger. Thanks again.
heebs

Post by heebs »

We started our daughter at 9. Kids are really adaptable and catch on quick. I think that if they start early, the basics will come easier as they don't question why, they just do it. The biggest fear is that they will burn out. Keep the sessions short, as attention span is short. Make sure to start with standing first, as this is the hardest position. Once they go to other positions that are supported, they figure out how much easier they are, and won't want to practice standing.

We started with a Crossman 2000. This gun will get them a long ways for starting. We then graduated to the Crossman 2009 that is a PCP. We use only air as velocity is higher and don't have to mess around with CO2. Just refill and go. I find bulk CO2 to be a pain.

As far as accuracy, our 2009 seems to be very accurate with R10 pellets. Just my two cents.

Heebs