Bullseye .45 versus Hardball question

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Amanda4461

Bullseye .45 versus Hardball question

Post by Amanda4461 »

Howdy-
Hope everyone is shooting up to their ability and having fun!
I am looking at an old (1970 aint THAT old) Clark Heavy Slide .45. I don't really know why, but it talks to me, so it will come home this week. I assume that I can use it for Bullseye, either with the installed Bomar Rib, or by changing to the Red-Dot rib and using that with an Ultradot, if desired, which is how it is set up.
Am I correct in assuming that it will NOT be legal for CMP Service Pistol, due to the Bomar rib? If so, would it be legal if I had Clark install a new slide with an adjustable rear sight, and a standard milled-in front sight? Trigger is another question. I normally just shoot BE, but I assume that Service Pistol would require a 4# trigger? If so, I am hoping to set up one gun to do double duty. I realize a heavier trigger is tougher in BE, but I'll just suffer through it. BE is really just about my only hobby outside of Service Rifle, and I aint gonna be an Olympic contender, anyway I look at it, so a 1/2 pound or so won't kill me.
Thanks for your help, since I don't own a Service Pistol Rule Book yet.
Amanda4461
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

Amanda,
I know you are fixated on the one gun fits all agenda, but you really ought to consider buying 2 used guns, one wad and one ball gun. You must examine them in person. Three things to look for in a used gun: On an unloaded gun in battery, put your finger on the barrel end. Try to get it to move, If it does, the bushing is worn and will need a new bushing installed. The slide to frame fit should be rock solid. No endplay or sideplay otherwise you have to retighten the slide. Third, examine the frame feed ramp. It may be polished but should never be ground. I have seen feed ramps that were ground right down to the barrel ramp. Make sure your feed ramp extends back to allow it to work properly. If and when you go to sell your guns, Having two guns to sell will bring you a lot more money, where the mods you mention on your Clark, will be expensive, and not appreciate in value. There are a lot of good used wad and ball guns on the market that will cost you less than a new 45. Just have to look and be lucky. Maybe this will change your mind.
Chris
Amanda4461

One gun fits all

Post by Amanda4461 »

Chris,
I am after a short term solution, since Clark has my order for a dedicated Hardball gun, but I am looking at a year to get it, since their backlog is deep. The wad gun I am buying can be converted easily enough with a new slide to keep within the rules, but I am guessing since I have yet to receive it until later this week.
Thanks!
Amanda