involuntary twitch

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

dmf

involuntary twitch

Post by dmf »

10m standing air rifle. anyone sometimes experience an involuntary twitch of the body when pulling the trigger? just curious what might cause this.

This has not happened to me very often before, but did happen twice today (during a finals ugh), and a couple of times last weekend during practice.

Position feels solid. All the other shots seem pretty good (50% tens or better). The twitch actually does feel a bit like a shock or zing, and I end up pulling the rifle off target and shooting like a 3,4, or 5.

Txs
Dave
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I really don't know, but maybe you are compressing your lower spine and pinching a nerve? In the past I had a poor position and it really put pressure on my lower spine. There are some good pics in Ways Of The Rifle book. Good luck.
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

It's anticipation. Where is the twitch actually occurring?
dmf

Post by dmf »

Hard to describe exactly, but I believe a tightening of my back muscles, which also transferred to my left arm.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Telecomtodd wrote:It's anticipation. Where is the twitch actually occurring?
Agreed, it's almost always due to anticipating the shot release. The solution is to train trigger release so that it becomes more automatic. More dry firing is always worth adding in to your training drills and concentrate on smooth trigger release.

Rob.
guidolastra

Post by guidolastra »

RobStubbs wrote:
Telecomtodd wrote:It's anticipation. Where is the twitch actually occurring?
Agreed, it's almost always due to anticipating the shot release. The solution is to train trigger release so that it becomes more automatic. More dry firing is always worth adding in to your training drills and concentrate on smooth trigger release.

Rob.
Any drills to make trigger release more automatic, like a conditioned reflex ? This is certainly my main weakness and it gets really bad in competition. Thanks
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

guidolastra wrote: Any drills to make trigger release more automatic, like a conditioned reflex ? This is certainly my main weakness and it gets really bad in competition. Thanks
The simple answer is practice and more practice. You have to learn (accept) a subconscious trigger release and trust yourself. If you tense up (i.e. comps) and 'snatch' the trigger, you will move the shots and shoot poor shots.

As I mentioned dry firing is great, but also shoot so as to forget scores and to train the shot process. Shoot lots of shots on a single aiming mark so you can't tell the score and put the scope away.

Rob.