New to Air 3P and have a few questions

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

TraLfaz

New to Air 3P and have a few questions

Post by TraLfaz »

Ok, my son has shot one air rifle match but it was off hand only. My questions are:

1) Am I right thinking that can you cannot use a palm rest in air 3P?
2) Are you allowed to use a sling in prone and kneeling?

So far we have shot many matches in smallbore, are there any other differences that we should know about?

Thanks
bulldogcoach

3P AR

Post by bulldogcoach »

Check out: http://www.odcmp.com/3P/Rulebook.htm

That should answer any questions you have.

Good shooting!
TraLfaz

Post by TraLfaz »

Thank for the reply Coach, that is exactly what I was looking for.

TraL
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

You need to be careful in that rulebook to choose between regular 3p and the stupid sporter rules which won't let you use, wear, or do anything to improve your score or technique and forces the shooter to do things wrong.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

You need to be careful in that rulebook to choose between regular 3p and the stupid sporter rules which won't let you use, wear, or do anything to improve your score or technique and forces the shooter to do things wrong.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

gwsb,

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you about the "sporter" 3p rules.

They actually require you to have better technique, as you cannot depend upon the artificial support given by the stiff jackets and pants.

I'm interested in what you think someone is forced to do "wrong" under the "sporter" rules.
justadude

Post by justadude »

gwsb,

Given the way you feel about sporter rules I recommend you don't shoot any matches under them.

While you may not like them, the sporter classes might be the best thing that has happened to the precision shooting sports in 50 years.

When I got started in the early 1970s there were leagues around where a kid could get started with a well used Remington 513T, a carpet remnant for a mat, an old winter jacket and one glove for a shooting suit, a pair of binoculars and pine block with some holes drilled in it for a loading block. We looked worse than a Libyan Rebel but we were having fun and we could compete against each other.

Today, those type of junior leagues are mostly gone. In the places where junior leagues still exist, the starting level is often some kind of Anschutz (or similar), and hundreds if not 1000s of $$$ of purpose built shooting suit, mat, glove etc. That is one heck of an investment just to give something a try. Your typical club cannot invest in equipment at that level just to help kids get started and most parents will be very reluctant to spend that kind of cash, just to try something out.

What the sporter rules do is provide an entry point into the shooting sports that is attainable for just about everyone. After an intro in the sporter classes if a shooter is interested AND can afford it they can move on to the precision classes.

Just my 2 cents.

'Dude

PS: From my humble little club with the 513Ts and carpet remnants I went on to be a national team member and one of my club mates medaled in the Olympics. Sporter classes, they are meant to be a starting point... not the finish line.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Agree with Pat & 'Dude

Sporter allows a coach to very quickly detect and correct position errors, while a new shooter starting in precision gear may get into some bad habits and poor/potentially harmful positions.

I'm of the opinion that you should start in sporter, learn the basics and positions well ... get into the 520's-550's ... and then think about precision.
In my experience with a 520-530 sporter shooter that moves to precision, they usually start right off near 570ish ... all because they have learned good solid positions in sporter

To answer the original questions re: 3-P air (Sporter):
1) No "palm rest" is allowed
2) Slings are legal and highly recommended in all but standing. I know some 4-H programs do not allow slings ... if you are in an area like that you should do all you can to get them to follow the rules ... not use local "made-up" ones

Another good set of rules for airgun are the ISSF/USA Shooting rules ... if you are already shooting smallbore, you are probably already firing under these or the NRA rules which are similar
PCU

Post by PCU »

Note that the sling permitted in Sporter cannot be as wide as used in Precision or Small Bore. Maximum width for Sporter is 1 1/4 incles (32mm) (National Standard Three-Position Air Rifles, 4.3.3)
jerry0503222
Spammer

Post by jerry0503222 »

Post by Pat McCoy »

Jerry,

I'm still wondering what 3p Sporter rules force you to do anything wrong???
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Jerry ..
I'm with Pat ... what are you doing "wrong"?

My contention is that sporter >>forces<< you to do things right (or at least let your coach to easily find those things wrong), while all the precision gear could allow you to let bad habits (things wrong) creep in