Grace Period for new Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Robert K.

Grace Period for new Pistol

Post by Robert K. »

I just purchased an LP10 and have been shooting it exclusively for about 2 1/2 weeks now. My scores have not come close to what I was getting with my IZZY 54M. It does show greater potential than the 54M though as the groups are tighter, but not as consistent (getting the pistol/trigger feel ingrained into muscle memory, I guess). It appears not as forgiving as the IZH, in that I get some wide fliers compared to the IZH (large weight difference?) It did feel a lot lighter than I was used to (less stable) and the trigger 1st stage resistance took some getting used to (this really threw me, but is getting familiar now. Its a superior trigger no doubt, just different)

I was wondering how long you guys give a new pistol to see if it does a better job in your hands than your previous pistol?
A74BEDLM

Post by A74BEDLM »

I think firstly if there is something you don't like on the pistol change it. For example - play with the settings - set the trigger how you want - stage weights, travel, fit different width front sights, play with the rear sight width adjustments until your sight picture is comfortable etc... make it feel how you want - make sure your happy with the grip/size, is the balance/weight right? if not consider barrel weights. You might spend a few £/€/$ on extras but it can be worth it.

Secondly - Love your pistol, tell yourself its the best pistol you've ever held/used, dry fire relentlessly - even just hold in your hand whilst watching TV just triggering whilst resting in your lap (not expelling air - check unloaded obviously).

If you have/develop negative thoughts for a pistol - abandon all hope!
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

IMHO you're now using a pistol with a lot different type and constrruction trigger. Not dissing the Izzy, but go back to your old pal and try the trigger again and then return to the LP10, now tell me if there isn't a difference between the two. I have a friend who shot the Izzy to many 550+++ scores and when he started with a new Morini electronic trigger, his face dropped for a few weeks until he saw himself slowly coming back into form. Be patient the LP10 is an awesome gun....."Doc"
Rover

Post by Rover »

I take your post as a warning to guys who want to "buy points".

Really, though, you just need to get everything about the gun to fit you before expecting any performance increase. The difference in accuracy is non-existant.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

You will typically see one of two things when you get a new gun and as often as not, both; It's quite common to get a better score straight off - which is usually an artifact of something new, more concentration etc. You can also get the drop in scores whilst you're getting used to the new feel, learning the trigger and setting it up.

The gun is merely a tool and a new one is just different. Assuming you bought one that you like the feel and balance of, then it's just a matter of relearning and fitting and getting used to it. I'd suggest maybe a couple of months as long as your properly training with it and not just shooting lead down the range.

Rob.
Robert K.

Post by Robert K. »

Thanks for all the feedback guys, it verified what I was thinking/feeling. The Steyr definitely shows that it has more potential and just needs getting used to, which is slowly getting there (my reason for shooting this gun exclusively now). Bob I bet you're right as the Steyr's trigger is definitely more predictable and repeatable. I totally agree with Rob Re: relearning the gun/tool, I guess the learning/familiarization curve was getting me a bit impatient :) I'm very positive about this pistol and am still adjusting it to fit as perfectly as possible, so it will feel and point naturally. I did not expect to "buy points" as I know that the only improvements are bought with a lot of focused trigger time (though new to AP I have been shooting competitively in other disciplines for many, many years). I just wanted something that would help me get to the next level with out fighting me the whole way lol. I think all shooters believe this to some degree or we would all be shooting the gun we started out with. When I upgraded to my Kreighoff trap gun there was no lag in results, I just adjusted her to fit and blam I was on my way, so I was just wondering about the Steyr. Thank you all for the feedback, and I will take all suggestions/recommendations to heart. RK
k9jri

IZH-54M

Post by k9jri »

Robert, what is an IZH-54M? I can not find any pictures or information regarding this pistol.

I have an IZH-46M and I am slowly learning how to shoot it :)

Your LP-10 would be wonderful.

Mike
Robert K.

Re: IZH-54M

Post by Robert K. »

k9jri wrote:Robert, what is an IZH-54M? I can not find any pictures or information regarding this pistol.

I have an IZH-46M and I am slowly learning how to shoot it :)

Your LP-10 would be wonderful.

Mike
I stand corrected, 46M is what I have, don't know where I got 54M from lol. Thanks for pointing this out. RK
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Robert K. wrote:....(though new to AP I have been shooting competitively in other disciplines for many, many years)....

When I upgraded to my Kreighoff trap gun there was no lag in results, I just adjusted her to fit and blam I was on my way...

Right here is your answer. For trap, you knew what adjustments you needed/wanted and were able to address those without having to figure out what they were. With the LP10, you're working through the changes.

I made the IZH46M to LP10 switch back in 2008 to address 1 major complaint ~ I had to hold the nose of the 46M up (needed grip adjustment). I was able to address those desired changes within 2~3 sessions. In other words, I picked the upgrade that addressed a very specific complaint, adjusted it to compensate for that complaint quickly and easily and was on my way again.

Don't take that to mean I didn't need to Keep futzing with it, because I do.. even 3 years later I find myself re-evaluating how I shoot and making changes (most recent was moving the trigger back a rather large distance because I was applying lateral pressure).

Anyway, good luck in finding the right settings for you. It'll come along eventually.
peterz

Post by peterz »

It took me more than a month after starting to shoot my LP-10 before I got the first score above where I had previously been shooting with my old FWSB C-20. But once I adjusted, and got the gun adjusted to me, the scores went up rapidly. Well-known effect.

pz
peterz

Post by peterz »

It took me more than a month after starting to shoot my LP-10 before I got the first score above where I had previously been shooting with my old FWSB C-20. But once I adjusted, and got the gun adjusted to me, the scores went up rapidly. Well-known effect.

pz
v76

Post by v76 »

I had a 46M too that was my entry into 10m, shot it for about 8 months but couldn't bear the extra weight and cocking anymore as it meant shortened practice time (medical condition). Switched to a 162ei and practiced as much in a week as what I'd do in 3 with the 46M. Then had a chance to share the gf's older LP10 which was even better in the weight dept - too bad it had that lousy trigger but that's another story.

That said, I shot a little better with the newer pistols because I could practice more and better with them, not because they have inherently better qualities, just better "ergonomics" for me.
paulo

Post by paulo »

It toke me close to a year to adjust to a new trigger, coming from the IZZY.