TAU 7 Leaks and needs new Seals

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
pzoba

TAU 7 Leaks and needs new Seals

Post by pzoba »

Hello,

My son's TAU7 CO2 air pistol is leaking CO2 when charged. I need to replace the seals but I have been unable to figure out how to do this. Can anyone assist me with this?

When charged, the gas leaks out through the barrel or if the loading gate is open, it leaks up from the chamber.

Thanks - Paul
pzoba

Post by pzoba »

I have figured out how to take the wood grip off and in the back, there is a large screw head that when removed releases a spring and a piston that I removed from the back. But I cannot see a seal in there...?

I have also looked into the CO2 chamber with a light and see a screw head down in there...? Could the compromised seal be under that screw somehow?

Is this kind of maintenance something I can do myself or do people generally send them in somewhere to get serviced?

I am generally pretty good mechanically and do most of my own work on my guns.

Thanks

Post by Guest »

I have removed the head screw under the grip and pulled out the srping and valve. I can see the bushing down in there but can't remove it. I have tried a small 90 degree hook. I can feel the back of the bushing but I can't get it to come out. Any suggestions?
Raymond Odle

Post by Raymond Odle »

Your leak is common. I have replaced orings and needle valves and seats in the rifles but not in pistols. Your leak would be through the valve. On the rifles the co2 cylinder is removed to get to it. Your leak may be due to something on the valve seat or freezing. I do not have good advice. I have replaced the valve and seat only to have it start leaking again. I have removed the rifle stock, placed rifle in oven on low heat with good results. The only good advice I can give is to follow correct procedure in filling and make sure the pistol is warm. Sorry I can not be more helpful.
MNshooter

TAU 7 Leak

Post by MNshooter »

HI:

I would contact this sites host - Pilk Guns. They sell the Tau pistol and parts. They are very helpful.
MaryLee

Tau 7 leaking

Post by MaryLee »

Pzoba,

Our gunsmith, Buck, is currently out of the office for the Nationals at Ft. Benning but will be back in the office on Tuesday the 12th. If you call in and speak with him, he should be able to help you get everything straightened out. He is normally in the office 9-5 CST with about an hour at 12 for lunch.

Thanks,
Mary Lee
Pilkington Competition Equipment
354 Little Trees Ramble (items going FedEx or UPS)
or
PO Box 97 (items being mailed)
Monteagle, TN 37356
931-924-3400
http://www.pilkguns.com
PFribley

tau

Post by PFribley »

Do not hesitate to use Pilk to service your pistol. I have had them service my FWB 65 and C55. You will not be dissapointed. They are professional ,thorough and timley!!!
yana

Post by yana »

To remove the Tau's valve seal, what most do is, screw in some kinda bolt (into the seal). This'll ruin the seal, but it wíll come out! ;)
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Here's a link that describes the process:

http://www.airgunarena.com/index.php/Tau-7_Maintenance

The trick is finding a place to buy replacement seals. They consist of a Teflon piece that is mounted on a thin steel ring.

I help maintain the MIT collegiate team's pistols, and they have a bunch of Tau-7's. I'm slowly working on putting together a maintenance manual. I'm starting with trying to identify suitable replacement O-rings. The factory used 2.2 mm cross-section O-rings, which are a bit non-standard, even in Europe. O-rings are somewhat forgiving on size, and there are 2.0 mm and 2.4 mm cross-section rings that should work for most applications. I've got a list of possible substitutes, and as I repair various leaks, I'm hoping I can find specific sizes that can be readily obtained. If anyone has been through this and can share their experience, it would be very helpful.
yana

Post by yana »

Chambersgunmakers in the uk have Tau 7 spares.
I also have good experiences with Guns 'n Things.
The normal O-rings arent the problem. You get several with a new pistol. Only the valve seal misses.
If you cant get them, contact Tau directly.