Morini 84i Battery

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
PETE S

Morini 84i Battery

Post by PETE S »

Searching around for batteries for my Morini 84 electronic trigger...can't find any battery from Varta (v74px). or the alkaline equivalent from Excell that I had purchased in the past.

Are these 15Vlt batteries still made?

Is the Eveready 504 the only choice?
zohan

Post by zohan »

unwrap your batt, you will see 1.5v 10 pieces

easy to make a new one
Misny

Post by Misny »

Our host, www.pilkguns.com, usually carry the battery you want. Give them a buzz.
PETE S

Post by PETE S »

Yes, one friend just order and received the Eveready 504...which work...but are carbon zinc and hence do not last very long. The original was the Varta battery...alkaline; which appears to be discontinued!
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Yes - as Zohan noted, you can re-pack these quite easily. Nick the edge of the metal case and peel it off using a pair of pliers. Inside you will find a black plastic tube and inside that there will be ten x 1.5v alkaline button cells in stacked in series plus a conducting top cap with a nipple and a conducting base. All you need to do is find the equivalent button cell and buy ten of them. I worked out which one it was once but have since misplaced the code. It's no big deal though as it's one of the popular standard button cells and should be easy to work out. Fill the tube up with these, fit the top cap and base (make sure you get them the right way as I don't know how well the circuit will take to reversed polarity!) and tape it up with electricians tape.

Like Pete S says, these appear to have been discontinued and my usual supplier no longer has them. I have an extra need for these as I still use an original CM162e AP which uses the same battery. However as long as you keep one of your dead batteries to use for re-packing there is no reason why you can't keep using your pistol. Another option could be to try and fit 5 x 3volt lithium button cells stacked in series, though you would have to wire it to the battery terminals and the larger sized cells means the battery pack would probably bulge out the bottom (i.e. it would work but wouldn’t look too pretty).
Nev C

Replacing cells

Post by Nev C »

This is what is inside the 15V battery. It only takes about 30 seconds to get them out.
You can get them on Ebay in packs of 10 for a few dollars.
Attachments
15V.jpg
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

A few mos. ago, I purchased on line, two alkaline 15v.batteries for my 162e. I've lost the site(vendor), but the batteries are marked GP220A.

If you'll Google this(GP220A), you'll find a list of vendors.
Paul
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

J.Hoes

Post by J.Hoes »

Fortitudo Dei wrote:........

Another option could be to try and fit 5 x 3volt lithium button cells stacked in series,....... .
Some years ago I tested 5 x CR2032 on a CM184E. It worked, but was not a succes; I did the standard Morini battery test, the voltage dropped to about 11 V and the pistol stopped firing. Later that day the voltage recovered to 15 V.
The electrical capacity of this cell is fairly large ( app. 200 mAh), but discharge current must be low.

Recharging of the Morini's electronics with V74PX, the current would peak to somewhere around 600 mA, speaking from memory.

Greetings Hans.
scerir

Post by scerir »

http://www.farnell.com/ should sell that battery V74PX (Farnell code 856174)
scerir

Post by scerir »

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I just ordered some from these guys:

http://shopping.microbattery.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5942/.f

They may be old stock, but the shelf life on these is pretty good. They are listed as alkaline, but only 100 mAH.

You have to watch out with button/coin cells. Every vendor is a little different, and the variation can be huge, especially in high drain pulse applications like a Morini.

There is also a big difference between alkaline & silver oxide button cells. The ones in the picture look like ~ SR44/LR44 size. The difference is that LR44's are alkaline, and won't hold up nearly as well as the more expensive SR44's. They are theoretically both rated for ~ 150 mA hours, and a stack would have the same rating. Some alkalines are specifically rated for low or high drain use.

Here's a whole raft of technical info:

http://olympus.dementia.org/hardware/PD ... ryData.pdf

They show that the life of Energizer 357H silver oxide batteries is nearly twice that of the regular 357 version.

The "new" voltage of silver oxides is slightly higher than alkaline (1.55V rather than 1.5V). I doubt the difference in a stack of ten would hurt the pistol, but checking with Morini might be a good idea.

If I couldn't get the A220/504 batteries, I'd certainly go the stacking route. But not without a little bit of careful shopping to make sure the specific button cells I got were up to it.
Nev C

Post by Nev C »

Gwhite wrote: There is also a big difference between alkaline & silver oxide button cells. The ones in the picture look like ~ SR44/LR44 size.
If you wish to stack cells, take note of the correct type. They aren't SR44 cells, the size designations are as per the picture below.
Attachments
Cells.jpg
mhkhung

Post by mhkhung »

I bought from them a couple months ago..

http://www.mdbattery.com/eveready-504-c ... 10f15.html
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Interesting. LR1130's aren't nearly as high capacity as LR44's. The highest mA rating I could find for LR1130's was 65 mA hour. That may be the same size as what they stuff in the A220 cells, but it certainly won't deliver the same performance. The old carbon zinc 504 batteries are rated for 60 mAH, so that at least gets you in the ballpark.

SR1130's are 11.6 mm dia x 3.1 mm high

LR44's are 11.6 mm dia x 5.4 mm high

So the difference is in the thickness. It may be that they use thinner shells on the cells in a stack on the theory that they don't have to be as rugged. The 15V stack batteries are ~ 35mm long, so you certainly won't get 10 of the 44's in a stack.

Maxell (who makes very good batteries according to tests I've done) sells a silver oxide SR1130W designed for high drain applications. It's rated at 79 mAH, which is still well below what some folks claim for the alkaline A220's.

I'm not denying that one can assemble your own, and probably get good results. I find it curious that the factory stacked batteries seem to have 2 to 3 times the mAH rating that the individual button cells seem to have. Something doesn't add up.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

I'm puzzled, that with the 15v. alkaline batteries still available, discussion regarding assembling them using button cells, is still being posted. I wouldn't waste my time assembling one.
Paul
Nev C

Post by Nev C »

pgfaini wrote:I'm puzzled, that with the 15v. alkaline batteries still available, discussion regarding assembling them using button cells, is still being posted. I wouldn't waste my time assembling one.
Paul
The OP said he couldn't find any 15V batteries, the DIY version is therefor an option for him. Also, the DIY battery is a good bit cheaper, $3 on Ebay.
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

pgfaini wrote:I'm puzzled, that with the 15v. alkaline batteries still available, discussion regarding assembling them using button cells, is still being posted.
Perhaps where you are Paul, but not here.
The suppliers I have used for the v74px in the past can no longer supply and the battery is virtually obsolete anyway (its main original use was to ignite magnesium-based photo-flash bulbs). It no longer appears on Varta's website and the impression I get is that its manufacture has probably ceased and supply is gradually drying up
The places that are willing to send batteries here often charge punishing postage rates which are a blatant rip-off. Frankly, the next time I need a new 15v battery I am far more likely to experiment with repacking one of my v74px cells than pay a highly inflated sum for essentially ten inexpensive 1.5v button cells. Recent posts on this thread have provided excellent information which I feel will become increasingly valuable to every 84e owner in years to come.
Nev C

Try Ebay

Post by Nev C »

Hi Fortitudo, You can get them on Ebay for a few dollars, I've just ordered two packs of ten for a total $7.98 AUD (post free).
My advice to all owners of the 84E is to keep the old 15V batteries, don't throw them away, you may need the cases one day for re-packing.
luftskytter

Morini battery

Post by luftskytter »

I believe these were used for camera flashbulbs long ago.
Maybe th ereason they're getting extinct.
Photoshops maybe a source.

Otherwise:

http://www.watchbattery.co.uk/shop/prod ... PX74.shtml

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Varta-74-PX-bat ... B00005NPRI

Sold out here, but the link contains a lot of information:
http://www.photographicbattery.com/alka ... ne-battery

Lotsa links if you Google V 74 PX .......