trouble with slow-fire

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

tuj

trouble with slow-fire

Post by tuj »

Hey all, maybe someone can give me some tips. I'm having trouble posting scores over 80 in slow-fire while in timed and rapid fire, I can quite often score around 90-95 with 2-4 x's. Obviously the slow-fire is a more challenging target, I'm just not sure how to improve my slow-fire scores.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
davekp

Post by davekp »

Lots and lots of dry firing.
Rover

Post by Rover »

This problem caused me to take up International Air Pistol many years ago.

An Olympic sport in its own right, it's the best practice ever and you can do it at home.
william

Post by william »

Slowfire scores at that level probably indicate one or more fundamental errors. Before embarking on a course of self correction, find somebody who can identify what you're doing wrong. Then you can take specific actions to correct it (them?). This is a definite case of what you don't know can hurt you.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

too much time to over analyze the shot some say. if you shoot good T & R then try stepping up the rate of fire for slow fire.
orionshooter

Post by orionshooter »

I agree with gunrunner...you are likely using the time to look for the perfect sight picture and hold rather than trusting your hold and letting the shot plan develop.

May God help me but I also agree with Rover......shooting air pistol is a great way to improve slow fire performance.
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

I agree that AP is great training for slow fire and for me possibly even a more challenging and rewarding sport. I think if you are shooting good timed and rapid and not so good slow you might be trying too hard. A lot of times the harder you try the worse you will shoot. Don't try just shoot. I don't mean to not take it seriously but don't try to take control of everything. During slow fire you have lots of time to take over when you should be letting go and let the shots come to you. Trust your hold and squeeze and make sure your mind is where it should be. Don't be thinking about what you are going to do after or whats for dinner tonight. If you are having a problem breaking 80 then you probably have a lot of shots out in the white. When you have one out there forget it and forget it right now and go on to the next shot. If you think about that shot in the white guess where the next one is going! Forget about the shots that you have already shot they are done and there is nothing you can do about them. The next one is the most important shot that you will take and it deserves your complete attention because that shot is the only one you can do something about.
Hope this helps, Scott
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

One thing I would add is that you need to commit to squeezing the trigger - aggressively - just as completely in slow fire as you need to commit to squeezing it in sustained fire.

You need to drive that front sight with your smooth aggressive trigger squeeze. (Positive trigger pressure stabilizes the front sight, to paraphrase Brian Zins.)
tuj

Post by tuj »

Alright guys, thanks for the tips, I will try that on my next range trip. I feel like I end up taking too long in slow fire for each shot while in reality I finish the target with plenty of time. I don't feel rushed or anything, I just feel like the target is taking a really long time to shoot (relative to TF and RF). My eyes are bad, so I can't see where I'm hitting until I get my target back; I don't usually like to spot each of my shots because then the bad ones get in my head. Obviously I will spot to adjust my zero however.

So I guess the answer is: 'think less, practice more!'

EDIT: I should mention I have only been shooting bullseye since mid-April and shot my first pistol about 3 months ago. In my first match I shot a 711 but my slow-fire scores were:

-SF: 148
-NMC: 232
-TF: 162-2x
-RF: 169-2x

I shot the center-fire match as practice with my 22 and posted SF scores of 49 (yuck!), 73, and 73. In practice I rarely am able to shoot a SF target above 80 while in the same practice I can often get 90+ on TF/RF.
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

If you have only been shooting since mid april thats not bad at all. It's not an easy game and there is LOTS to learn. I think with some quality practice you will see your scores climb fairly quickly at first so keep shooting!! Scott
Rover

Post by Rover »

Your eyes are bad because you can't see .22 holes at 50 yards?!!!

Sounds like you're too involved with every shot. There is only the NEXT shot for you to think about!
tuj

Post by tuj »

Well guys, I tried shooting the SF as RF and it seemed to work. My average in practice across 11 SF targets is now around 82 which is way up from hovering between 72-77. I shot a new high of 89 on one target. I think you guys were right that I was too involved in the shot process and taking too long to pull the trigger.
schauckis

Post by schauckis »

Welcome to the club!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had this problem for about 20 years.....

To the point:
Air pistol - much as I hate it, last winter season's AP training gained me 280 with centerfire pistol last week.
This summer is the first summer ever that I have been scoring above 270 in slow series (30 shots).

Second piece of advice:
A good way to find out what you're doing wrong is to shoot with a laser system like the Noptel.
Try to get hold of one. This will show you the movement of the barrel, and what happens at the point of firing and right thereafter.

Third:
Try to enjoy the entire shooting process as much as possible. From taking the stance and the hold; lifting, aiming, firing, the recoil itself; focusing on the front sight even after the shot!

Best of luck!

- Lars/Finland