New Sling - Recommendations?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Dave IRL

New Sling - Recommendations?

Post by Dave IRL »

I'm looking for a new sling and hoping to get some impressions from people. I currently use a pretty bog standard Gehmann one which tends to drift around the arm too far and is generally a pain in the ass. I was looking at the MEC/Centra one, the Sauer Exact III Synthetic and the Thune ATL. Requirements are for a tough synthetic that sets up well to keep to the outside of the arm, has a secure fastening fixture for the same purpose and some micro-adjustment for tweaking in position wouldn't hurt either. They all have that, and while the MEC/Centra one is significantly more expensive, I'd rather get this right once, so let's ignore cost. For some reason I don't absolutely trust the idea of an ambidextrous sling like the Sauer. It looks a really good piece of kit on right handed shooters, but is it going to work so well for me if I change it over? I shoot left handed. Basically, they all seem good as an observer, but I'd like some feedback from others as well.
batty

Post by batty »

i changed to the Mec sling last year and i wouldn't go back now

its great to have a lot more adjustments (where the sling pulls from. the size of the strap on your arm, the micro adjuster for length, the twisting movement available)

I had to use an offset for my handstop as i always had a problem with the sling getting close to the trigger but this was instantly fixed with this sling

only real downsides are

make sure the screws are done up as these can drop out after a while
the synthetic sling can trash the holes for the buckle after a while of use but you can get another strap!

i do love the fact that it is just a single strap going to the rifle... much more confortable!
efoleyjr

Sling

Post by efoleyjr »

I will 2nd the mec recomindation. Best sling available with total adjustment capability.
Colin

Post by Colin »

I don't use one myself but as Batty says make sure you keep checking the fixings, one members sling fell to bits during a competition. Also for the cost of it there really shouldn't be issues like this and the adjustment holes coming apart/ripping.
Martin Catley

MEC

Post by Martin Catley »

Is it common for these slings to "trash" as someone has said, I purchased one a while ago now and will have to get a new front strap for this reason? The buckle actually pulled through to the next hole during a shoot, until checking the sling I couldn't work out why my position was suddenly a lot looser and lower! Love the sling and concept but it needs a better material for the Buckle to hold.

Martin
Colin

Post by Colin »

you could try the centra start line one, seems to have the good points, but with a conventional type sling going to the handstop fixing.This should stop the buckle/handstop issue
Dave IRL

Post by Dave IRL »

I've since been looking at the Akah Logic as well. Anyone any opinions on this? seems to be a decent design, similar to the Thune ATL but with a slightly simpler micro-adjustment system. Any thoughts?
Colin

Post by Colin »

Anschutz do a nice adjustable one also
Denton

New MEC Straps

Post by Denton »

Hi,
From what I can see the new replacement straps for the MEC sling are approx 1.5x thicker than the original, thats the fibre strap,so lifespan will be much longer I assume, or you have the option of getting a leather strap also, I've have no experience of those though...
I would highly recommend MEC sling for all the reasons previously listed and also the connect, you can be guarenteed that the sling will not move..

My 2c.
D.
guidolastra

MEC Sling. My experience

Post by guidolastra »

Hi,
I would agree with the above comments about the MEC sling. It does certainly look extremely nice and it is very adjustable and comfortable. However, Batty is right, it has to be checked every time, especially before competitions. It happened to me once that the turning screw went too far out and separated from the front loop. That is easy to fix. Recently, two weeks before Ft Bening WC, the front screw that attachs to the handstop went too far out also and the ballbearings fell (swivel), disabling the whole sling. I did email MEC and I got a new strap/swivel (they call it "fibre") which I have been using for the last week. I had to mail back the old "fibre" part, which cost me 50 USD...and added to the already high cost of the sling
So, from now on, every time I will shoot prone or 3P it is not a bad idea to thoroughly check the sling and the screws. I also carry my old AKAH sling in my bag, just in case...