12 bull targets

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

topper12

12 bull targets

Post by topper12 »

At our club we only use carriers and single bull targets.We have an area where we could expand to 3 more lanes and thought of using boxes with 12 bull targets as they cost less.I have no experience with that system.Do shooters need to change aperatures given that the bulls are close together?? This for 10 meter air rifle.Thanks.
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

The only person I have ever heard getting more than one bull in their aperture was using a 4.5 for air rifle on a 5 bull practice target that had the bulls only 1in apart. I bet you'd need to get up in the range of a 5.0 with an air rifle to get 2 bulls in it on a 12 bull target. Not something to worry about.

The bulls are all the same measurements.
topper12

boxes

Post by topper12 »

I assume most use the box idea with the duc seal filler to stop the pellets. Is there another method?
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

I have a box idea, which can fit two targets on the front with a piece of 1/8th in lexan on the back. Pellets smash flat, fall to the bottom of the box, and can be poured out.

It's a touch more expensive than other traps, but I know of a college team that used the same lexan sheets for 6 years before one cracked, and it cracked in the sighter area. Simply make the box 1in bigger than the targets and move them around a touch between shooters and they'll easily last longer.
GCSInc

6 target Pellet traps for 3 x 20 Matches

Post by GCSInc »

http://www.caes.uga.edu/extension/spald ... orner.html

If you want our PVC Pipe Pellet traps and holders, just drop me an email;

EODTNT1@aol.com

Roy McClain
The Ole Mill Range Complex
randy1952

Re: 12 bull targets

Post by randy1952 »

topper12 wrote:At our club we only use carriers and single bull targets.We have an area where we could expand to 3 more lanes and thought of using boxes with 12 bull targets as they cost less.I have no experience with that system.Do shooters need to change aperatures given that the bulls are close together?? This for 10 meter air rifle.Thanks.
We are having no problem using 6mm front sight inserts.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Randy ... even on the smaller ORION targets?
randy1952

Post by randy1952 »

jhmartin wrote:
Randy ... even on the smaller ORION targets?
Yes sir! By just getting them to just focus on the front sight then everything else is just a blur in the background anyway and then it is just a matter of centering the main blur in the center. If you where to start focusing more on the target then it may become a distraction. However, the kids didn't think it was a problem on the Kruger Targets.
rfwhatley

Post by rfwhatley »

Whenever we found that the front sights were large enough to see adjacent targets, we simply super-glued a #4 or #3 flat washer to the existing front aperture, then used candle smoke to black it up again. A box of 100 washers was enough to last several seasons. Just don't allow the liquid glue to get into the aperture.
Steve N

CMP AIR RIFLE TARGET BOX

Post by Steve N »

I built a dual target box from plans on the CMP website. It's big enough to hold 2-12 bull targets side by side, and has height adjustment for 3-P shooting. I don't have the link handy, but a little surfing at ODCMP.com or cmp.org should find it quickly. My cost was about $10 including hardware.

This target uses a piece of 11 ga (nominal 1/8") thick sheet metal as the backstop. If smashes pellets to about 1/16" thick and I have very few bounce-outs. I also build a plywood box target using 3/4" plywood and a piece of 1/4" thick UHMW plastic at an angle. Pellets smash flat and fall to the bottom of the trap. I have more bounce outs this way. The plastic has lasted for years.
PCU

Post by PCU »