New Rear Iris for Smallbore

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

mtncwru

New Rear Iris for Smallbore

Post by mtncwru »

I recently acquired a Kimber 82G from the CMP, and I'd like to upgrade the rear sight aperture from the stock pinhole that it came with. I know I need a variable-size iris, but what else should I be looking for with regard to color filters, polarization, and magnification? I shoot mostly outdoors with the occasional trip to an indoor 50yd range, and any matches I shoot will be outdoors. Thanks!
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

I use a Centra Competition. It is variable from .8-1.8 and has ten color filters and a polarizer.

A polarizer is really nice and I use it a lot to cut glare. The color filters dont help me as much but I still use them some days.
Matt
justadude

Post by justadude »

I don't recall if the rear sight on the Kimber accepts the typical European irises. Before you get too busy shopping you might want to see if you can borrow an iris or aperature off an Anschutz or similar and make sure it will screw into your rear sight. If it does you are in business as Gehmann and Centra have a broad range of options from which to choose. As you add features you add cost, What is your budget? A basic iris can be had for $70 or so as you add features you can approach $300.

You mentioned magnification, someone who uses sight mounted correction and magnification will need to chime in there, many people in this forum are ISSF/USAS shooters where any lenses have to be worn as glasses and cannot be mounted on the sights.

Hope this is some help

'Dude
gzig5

Post by gzig5 »

justadude wrote:I don't recall if the rear sight on the Kimber accepts the typical European irises. Before you get too busy shopping you might want to see if you can borrow an iris or aperature off an Anschutz or similar and make sure it will screw into your rear sight. If it does you are in business as Gehmann and Centra have a broad range of options from which to choose. As you add features you add cost, What is your budget? A basic iris can be had for $70 or so as you add features you can approach $300.

You mentioned magnification, someone who uses sight mounted correction and magnification will need to chime in there, many people in this forum are ISSF/USAS shooters where any lenses have to be worn as glasses and cannot be mounted on the sights.

Hope this is some help

'Dude
The standard Lyman/Redfield thread for the rear iris is 7/32-40 (I think) and for the European size it is 9.5 x 1mm. So the hole in the sight for the metric version should be a little under .350" and on the Lyman style it is a little under .200". Lots of options for the metric one from Centra, Gehmann, and Anschutz. Merit is about all there is for the smaller one, but there are adapters available to put the metric iris on standard sight and visa-versa. Can't help on filters and such as I use plain jane Gehman 510's on all mine.
Greg
jjbduke2004

Post by jjbduke2004 »

The Kimber 82 rear sight is threaded for European inserts, but comes with a Lyman adapter.