Is $1000 for a Walther GSP a good deal?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
DukeShooter

Is $1000 for a Walther GSP a good deal?

Post by DukeShooter »

I am looking at an older but in great shape GSP with one extra magazine for $1k. I'm considering it as my starter gun because of the spare parts availability. I also have an option on an Hammerli SP20 for $1300. I can't make up my mind on which to purchase for a all around ISSF Standard Pistol. Your thoughts?

The Duke
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

How old is the Walther? Walther has sold several generations of gun under that monicker. If it's a gun with the grips held on by side screws, I'd tend to avoid it. Newer guns have the grip held on by a single bolt through the bottom. Those I'd consider.

As to the Hammerli, has it been shot with .32? The British shooters on this forum have been reporting frame breakage problems after extended .32 use. I don't recollect any such reports with the .22 upper, though.

It's worth bearing in mind that Walther and Hammerli are both owned by Umarex...and that Walther has a bit of a reputation for not supporting out-of-production guns. I wouldn't let that dissuade you, as both guns are currently in production, but it's worth considering acquiring a stock of spares as funds permit.

Me? I'd probably go for the SP20, if it has only been shot with .22. Then go to Larry's Guns and buy a stock of spares when funds permitted.
PFribley

walther or hammerli

Post by PFribley »

Some of the SP20 Hammerli pistols have recoil reduction stuff in them that keeps the muzzle rise down. I have one and it works. Especially in rapid fire. To my knowlege the only Walther that has this stuff is the GSP extra. HTH.
nvalcik

RE: Walther GSP for $1K

Post by nvalcik »

The older Walther GSP's can be retrofitted with a bottom metal adapter that will fit the newer grips with the bolt in the bottom. It is cheap and easy to do if you do end up getting a Walther GSP frame with the side screws. Mine was just like that and I bought the adapter from ISS to convert my GPS to use the newer type of grips. If it was me I would favor the Walther since you could upgrade to a GSP Expert .22 LR and .32 S&W Long conversion kits if you wanted to at a later date. If the Walther GSP is in good shape that would be my preference.
DukeShooter

Post by DukeShooter »

I'm leaning in the direction of the SP20 money wise it's $150 more than the GSP but that's not a factor. I'm thinking that for rapid fire the SP20 will outshine the GSP. I know the GSP is attractive due to the availability of upgrades, etc.

I'd really like to have my first choice a Pardini, but there's nothing available a MG2 would really be my ultimate but who has the money for one of them. There aren't too many choices on my budget
jipe

Post by jipe »

For the GSP, pay also attention to the trigger unit (it is removable): there are two models, the old one, fragile and really poor and the new one, reliable and better (but not at the top level like on more modern standard pistols).

Look at the picture of the GSP expert, this is the new trigger unit (the trigger blade looks very different on the old type). Note that the trigger unit can be replaced but it adds extra costs. Check the trigger weight, you need a 1kg triiger unit, not the 1.36kg old center fire trigger unit that became useless now that center fire trigger weight is also 1kg

1K seems to me a high price for an old GSP. Walther made several special editions of this pistol, some were bought by collectors and were almost never used. 1K for such a pistol can be a good deal.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

1K seems to me a high price for an old GSP
My feelings as well.
DukeShooter

Post by DukeShooter »

Would $1200 be too much for a Nygord vintage SP Pardini? A better choice?
TB

Post by TB »

What about a Benelli? A brand new MP90S is $1515 and a MUCH better choise than both the Hämmerli and GSP IMHO.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

In Canada where there seem to be lots of GSP's $900-$1100 is the going rate for a GSP in good condition, to answer your question.
DukeShooter

Post by DukeShooter »

Yea the mp90 is a consideration but above my budget it's down to the Nygord set up Pardini SP and the Hammerli SP20 with the Pardini costing $100 more and hitting my funds limit. I haven't been able to locate any other used guns that fit my present budget. Unless you all have something to point me to... I'd love to find a MG2 in my price range but so far only the walther, Pardini and SP20 are available and I have eliiminated the walther

Any more suggestions? I know there is only so much you can do with 1k
jipe

Post by jipe »

Richard H wrote:In Canada where there seem to be lots of GSP's $900-$1100 is the going rate for a GSP in good condition, to answer your question.
In Europe, an old GSP is usually sold for 300 to 400€ = less than 600USD ! This is tre price you pay when you buy from a private shooter. If you buy from a gunshop, it is of course more expensive

A new GSP Expert costs between 1200 and 1300€ VAT included.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Thats nice the new ones are cheaper there too as they are with all the European firearms. Not a big surprise that they are cheaper there than here also I'm sure as target shooting is more popular there, there is a larger supply of used guns which naturally lowers the price.

Just giving the going price in Canada, which is probably closer to the going rate in the US too ( they probably might be a little cheaper in the US).

A new GSP runs you almost $2000 after tax, so really the price ratio between new and used is about the same.
DukeShooter

Post by DukeShooter »

Price performance wise I think the GSP is really not worth the money, I can't find anything listed anywhere for less than 1k. Shoot even totally useless OSPs are listed for over 1k when they become available. Only Larrys seems to price them fairly. I have been tempted to buy a $600 Pardini .22 short and tinker it into a .22 long rifle. Something I am capable of doing, but by the time I do the necessary gunsmithing and get or cobble up magazines I an up to 1k. Not much of a bargain.

Again I am not a cheapskate, just tight with funds, I'd love to be able to buy a new Pardini, SSP, or a MG2.

So if any of you knows someone who is serious about selling something turn them my way and I'll much appreciate it. I want to start shooting and not spend the next six months saving more money. You all know how it is. I almost bought the Walther anyway but the price put me off since the gun was manufactured in 1995.

The Duke
RMar

Post by RMar »

Be patient. $1000 for a GSP is high. Make an offer of $700 and settle in between somewhere.

Secondly, instead of trying to convert a Pardini, try converting an OSP. Change the recoil spring, add weights to the bolt, put on a .22 lr barrel and use a 1000g trigger and you're going to have something better than a GSP. The boreline will be closer to the top of the web of your hand, the sights will be right above your hand and it will point more naturally. Just be mindful of the sight radius rule.

Good luck.