Morini MC 162ei Titanium?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Redster

Morini MC 162ei Titanium?

Post by Redster »

What's different with the Morini CM162EI Titanium besides the ti color?
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

50g of weight, and price.
BEA

New Morini

Post by BEA »

The striker is made of titanium which is suppose to speed up the lock time and cause less vibration.
Osmun

Post by Osmun »

Do you know where to buy CM 162E Titanium version? Have you any link to pictures or the offer?
I wrote a letter to Morini Co. to ask them about Titanium version but I didn't get any answer.
BEA

new Morini

Post by BEA »

Good luck in getting an answer from them. I had the same problem and eventually gave up and moved on. However, they do have it pictured on their website. Have you talked to Scott about a Steyr? I purchased a LP10 and love it.
jipe

Post by jipe »

Here the link with picture and specs: http://www.morini.ch/product_det.php?id=16

I have contacted Morini by Email in the past and always got an answer.

Try an Email and if you can add a translation in italian or french (they are located in the italian speaking part of Switserland and they also speak french). You can use Google translation for that, the translation is not perfect but understandable
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Tell them you're shooting 590, and they will fly to wherever you are and give you a 162EI in Unobtanium Edition. As a normal shooter, good luck.
william

Post by william »

Morini website states:
As CM 162EI but in Titanium color and titanium made hammer for faster valve opening and reduced recoil.
I'm clear on a lighter hammer, faster valve response, etc. But I really need somebody to explain the physics of how it or the titanium color reduces recoil. Or is it metaphysics?
Redster

Post by Redster »

Just asking the difference. Surely you can ask one of the US dealers to order you one special if it's available. I forgot where I got the price but I think it's in the $1800 plus retail.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

If the big deal is only that the striker is made of titanium, is it possible to have a company that is specialized in making precision titanium parts to make a striker to fit the Steyr LP10 pistol?
Osmun

Post by Osmun »

I've checed the price of Titanium out and found it in Sweden's shop. It costs 19500 SEK that gives about 2150 euro or 3000 dolars.
In my opinion there is a price from..... let say - cosmic space :) (maybe it applys only in Sweden, everything there is very exspensive).
Ligher hammer and colour are not enought to make the price so high.
Morini needs more adjustable grip and trigger blade insted of lighter hammer and new colour.
I used to shoot CM 162MI over a year and it was nice pistol, besides LP10 one of the best in the word. I expected that Morini keep up with modern pistol technology and their next product will offer everything that is offerd by other companies. I don't understand them.
Last edited by Osmun on Thu May 05, 2011 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

william wrote:Morini website states:
As CM 162EI but in Titanium color and titanium made hammer for faster valve opening and reduced recoil.
I'm clear on a lighter hammer, faster valve response, etc. But I really need somebody to explain the physics of how it or the titanium color reduces recoil. Or is it metaphysics?
In theory lighter parts moving will impart a lesser equal and opposite force, that's the physics. In practice the small weight difference in this case would most likely not be noticed.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

The density of titanium is about 60% that of stainless steel (approximately - different alloys vary).

The force of the striker is in the spring (ignoring friction, of course). For a given force, a lighter striker will move faster and transmit the same total force on the valve release - Force = Mass x Acceleration.

The value may be in the psych factor - you think you're better and your opponent may think he is outclassed. An effect which, for me, would not survive the first couple of shots ...
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Any other company, this would be the last hurrah of a 20 year old design, to get rid of the last few parts. Morini, I'm not so sure - they might try the way of Lamborghini and build the same stuff in 111 different limited editions... ;-)
ronpistolero

Titanium Morini

Post by ronpistolero »

Like many other stuff, it is another marketing gimmick to sell the product not only to a shooter but also to a potential collector. A compensator, to which I ascribe to, may not have an effect on accuracy but I do feel a significant difference with the action; the "titaniumed" parts will have no felt difference considering the total weight of the gun. Just my thought.

But it sure does look nicer. :-)
jipe

Post by jipe »

I also don't think that it makes a real difference. But anyway, the Morini remains an excellent pistol even if it was designed 20 years ago. Yes, the lack of grip angle adjustement is a problem and Morini could solve it easily just like Steyr did by using a flexible wire connexion between the pistol and the main PCB instead of an edge connector as they do now. This is a minor PCB redesign but they never did it.

Note that the LP10 was introduced on the market in 1999 = 12 years ago and that it is a derivative of the LP1 an even older design. Nevertheless, it is the most widely used pistol, the one used to win the biggest amount of medals at the last olympic games and was used by Jong Oh Jin to shoot the current world record in 2009.

About the price, I found a much lower price in Germany: http://www.keuchen.de/default.php/cPath/84_384 = 1594€ about 220€ more than the normal 162ei. Sweden is an expensive country with high sales taxes this could explain de higher price in Sweden.
v76

Post by v76 »

Sorry to dig out an 'older' topic. Figured it'd be of interest to point out that Morini seem to have jacked up the weight of the EI (on their web site) at 1070g to make the titanium version looks like it shaved 50g off of the standard version. Pretty deceitful I think - unless it's an honest mistake of their webmaster (or mine!).
jipe

Post by jipe »

v76 wrote:Sorry to dig out an 'older' topic. Figured it'd be of interest to point out that Morini seem to have jacked up the weight of the EI (on their web site) at 1070g to make the titanium version looks like it shaved 50g off of the standard version. Pretty deceitful I think - unless it's an honest mistake of their webmaster (or mine!).
Remember that pistol weight changes with grip size, so the weight of your pistol may be different of the "official" weight.

Note also that the grip size used for this official weight is almost never mentionned and can be different for different models. Typical case is short barrel pistols that are aimed at female or junior shooters and for which the official weight is often measured with a small size grip (S or XS) while full size barrel pistols are often measured with a M size grip even if most of the European and US male shooters need a bigger size and therefore will actually have an heavier pistol.
v76

Post by v76 »

jipe wrote:
v76 wrote:Sorry to dig out an 'older' topic. Figured it'd be of interest to point out that Morini seem to have jacked up the weight of the EI (on their web site) at 1070g to make the titanium version looks like it shaved 50g off of the standard version. Pretty deceitful I think - unless it's an honest mistake of their webmaster (or mine!).
Remember that pistol weight changes with grip size, so the weight of your pistol may be different of the "official" weight.

Note also that the grip size used for this official weight is almost never mentionned and can be different for different models. Typical case is short barrel pistols that are aimed at female or junior shooters and for which the official weight is often measured with a small size grip (S or XS) while full size barrel pistols are often measured with a M size grip even if most of the European and US male shooters need a bigger size and therefore will actually have an heavier pistol.
Yes, that's not the point I wanted to make, though. It still does not make sense as to why the official weight of the EI was jacked up 50g, when all the literature everywhere (even the manual) lists it as 1020g. So they decided to weigh it with a bigger grip with the advent of a new model and web site? I think Morini needs new testing standards if they test two similar models (ie. EI Long/Ei Titan) with dissimilar grips to make the new one looks like it's lighter... or a new marketing advisor.

Just my two cents, it's only a small detail but still something I found quite deceiving from Morini - but it may only be a mistake on their part.
Osmun

Post by Osmun »

The main question is:

Is that pistol worth of buying or not? I meant technical features mainly.