How to reduce your arm sway & shakes...

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Chris_D

How to reduce your arm sway & shakes...

Post by Chris_D »

Hi guys,

My shooting has been improving since coming back to the sport. Two things I noticed is that my arm sway (wobble) is more than I recall. Also, my hand shakes more too. Luckily I was able to get rid of the trigger jerk problems but this wobble and shake thing is something I am not sure how to deal with.

I don't think it is fatigue nor caffiene related as I don't consume any due to health reasons. If I were to guess, the combined wobble and shake is about twice the size of the black at 50 foot. How does this compare with what you guys see?

Anyone have any advice on how to reduce this wobble and shake?

Thanks much

Chris
davekp

Post by davekp »

I found that weight training and exercises helped me. I lift 5 pounds like I was raising a pistol 15 times followed by 40 squeezes of a hand gripper followed by another 15 lifts after every dry fire session(twice per day). You are dry firing, aren't you?
I tried using wrist weights while dry firing and it helped initially but later became counter-productive, so I stopped that.
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

Chris,
Even when I was in great physical shape, I would work out with weights to reduce my wobble. There are specific muscle groups that need attention. You can do it at home using waterjugs, rope, pulley and bar grip. Stand in your shooting position parallel to the pulley with your arm out to the right and the slack taken out. Now move your arm to the shooting position in front of your nose without bending the arm. Now turn 180* and do a set with your arm across your body and moving it to your nose position.
Set a pulley in front of your feet and straight armed again lift to the firing position. These muscle groups are not used much in normal exercise but are essential to a pistol shooters foundation and help reduce wobble. Hope this helps
Chris
Chris_D

Post by Chris_D »

Thanks for the advise guys, I am working out, although in a bit more general routine. I need to get everything back in shape as well or my doctor will be giving me another one of those "your too fat" lectures.

I did notice something yesterday while shooting that is making this a bit more interesting. When shooting my model 41, my shake and wobble is very minimal compared to my model 52. My scores are better with the m-41 too.

I wonder if I am squeezing too hard which is causing the shakes. Today I plan to focus on my grip and hold a lot more to see if I can relax a bit to settle things down.

Chris