Compressed Air cylinder testing

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Denis

Compressed Air cylinder testing

Post by Denis »

I have 2 Steyr CA cylinders dated late 2002.
They are both in perfect "as new" condition.
They have been stored for the last few years with the pressure down at approx 30 bar.

Should they be pressure tested before being used again?
If not now, when should they be pressure tested?
If required, where is best place to have them tested and what should approx cost be?
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Hydrostatic testing is what you want. Scuba tank shops may be able to help, some farm the test out. Or you could talk with Scott Pilkington about the life expectancy of a cylinder. High pressure tank failure in not fun.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I have two older than that that were sitting in a closet for several years. I charged them to 2300 with a SCUBA tank. Trouble was...they leaked at the charge level indicators (pre manometer).

I took them to my club and fully charged and discharged them several times using the pump. That was a fix!

I doubt they will burst if you do the same (no real reason they might), but I wouldn't put my face next to it either.
Denis

Post by Denis »

But do they need testing?
How many out there with cylinders a lot older that have never been tested?
Does anyone have a strict testing regime for their cylinders?
Rover

Post by Rover »

I am certain they don't need testing, but you won't be happy unless you get an "expert" opinion.

Why don't you just call Pilkington?