First taste of standard pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Dev

First taste of standard pistol

Post by Dev »

I had been shooting air pistol for a few years, the reason being that it was the easiest shooting sport to get into, specially in terms of investment and due to our gun laws.

Last Sunday one of my friends invited us home to explain Standard pistol to us. He began by demonstrating the pistols working, the way it is held, how you aim and all that.

After this he made us do a few dry fires. Then we went out to his garden where he had a 25m target set up. We took out our bullets and then he made me shoot two shots at the target without using the magazine. One shot, stop clear chamber, pause, reload and shoot. Whaddya know two nines! Another friend had a go but he shot some five, fours and sixes, normally he shoots 560 in air pistol.

I get to shoot two more again and I get one nine and one seven.
Now, the magazine is handed to me and I get to load and shoot five bullets with a pause between each shot. I shoot, lower pistol, shoot and so forth till all five are done. Clear chamber and lock slide back and take magazine out. This time I shoot a ten, three nines and one eight.

This pumps me up so much that I shoot the next magazine fast, no lowering etc. my friend guesses that I took 10-15 secs and holy cow, a ten, three nines and one seven.

After air pistol this is so much more fun. I plan to practice again next weekend and maybe participate in the state competition next month. What I want to know is that is Standard Pistol easier that air? 20 shots maybe premature to come to a decision but I know I enjoy this much more than air.

Now, I think I know why so many people shoot standard and center fire pistol, it is quite a rush. :-)

Regards,

Dev
David Levene

Re: First taste of standard pistol

Post by David Levene »

Dev wrote:What I want to know is that is Standard Pistol easier that air?
They have a lot in common, but a lot different. It is therefore not possible to say that one is easier than the other.

In both you need to align the sights in the right area of the target and not let the trigger release muck up that alignment.

Standard Pistol has larger scoring rings but also has a heavier trigger and the requirement to handle recoil, especially for the 20 & 10 second series.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

If only I could shoot the same scores I shoot in air pistol in a standard pistol match!!!
Always fun but more frustrating
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

What I want to know is that is Standard Pistol easier that air?
In my opinopn it is more difficult, as a result of having to adapt to different timing within the event.
Dev

Will get to know more...

Post by Dev »

Hi,

I will probably get to know the true nature of things when I am exposed more to the event. I was just hoping against hope that in atleast one ISSF event I would be declared a natural :-), but I guess I shall have to slog it out even on this one.

Will be doing it again soon and will see how the outcome is. But so far it is quite an exciting change from AP.

Thank you for all your replies, keep blasting away.

Regards,
Dev
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

I do not know whether in the NRAI, .22 sport pistol is also shot as a men's discipline on national level (as is the case in many other ISSF member countries: not just women and juniors, but also men), but you might just wish to try your hand on that, too.

I like ISSF standard pistol, too. Just shot my personal best result today, this Easter morning. Nice. :-) Gun was an IZH-35 with Eley Pistol.

Alexander