Looking for input on the Tube guns.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

hddriver1

Looking for input on the Tube guns.

Post by hddriver1 »

Hi all,
I just purchased the Remington 40x with HB from CMP. I picked up a bolt from precision and a jewel trigger. Has anyone tried out the tube gun? They make a stock for the model 54 so I was wondering if anyone here has one and what they think of it.
Thank You
Pat
NateG

Post by NateG »

I've got an AN-1 with a 1963-production 54 in it.

I really like it. The barrel in it is extremely heavy, so it's a bit cumbersome offhand, but that's not the stock's problem.

The floating action installation method seems to benefit quite a bit from a tuner, like the one Eliseo sells. Also, you'll want a very tall front sight--I use a 22mm tunnel/ladder assembly made by Riles, I think. (Bought it from White Oak Arms)

Since I've never been able to get comfortable behind a conventional wooden stock, I really like the fit of the tube gun. On the down side, it comes with a flat buttplate and the pistol grip is just a normal AR-15 grip (I covered one in Bondo until it was the size and shape I wanted--that worked pretty well. And if you screw it up, another A2 pistol grip is less than $10).

If you'll want to put a more normal smallbore buttplate on it, talk to Gary (the manufacturer) about it. He can shorten the length of pull a bit (so it doesn't end up really long when you add the buttplate thickness) and give you a buttplate that will be easier to attach the buttplate carrier of your choice to.

Any specific questions about it? I'm more than happy to answer them.
GCSInc

Tube Guns for Position Shooting

Post by GCSInc »

I have one and like it a lot, BUT...

You've have to get completely out of position for loading every shot in Prone or Kneeling. Off Hand / Standing isn't bad, but you'll also have to open the loading port up quite a bit to get your big fingers holding a tiny .22 into the area to load it. It's fine for HighPower, but not really suitable for Smallbore Position work as far as I'm concerned.

Roy McClain
http://www.OleMillRangeCTC.com
Attachments
40x Tube Gun.JPG
Rem40x1.jpg
Rem40x1.jpg (22.65 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
NateG

Post by NateG »

Roy,

I use a shorter-than-normal length of pull, and have longer-than-normal arms (6'4"), so loading hasn't been an issue for me. Kneeling can be a bit tough when the case doesn't eject. (the action in my stock has the old single extractor that doesn't always eject reliably, especially with the cant I use kneeling) But I can load it from the shoulder just fine, even fishing an un-ejected case out of the action without breaking position.

If you have short arms though, it's probably something to consider. Also, while we're complaining, I loathe the hand stop it comes with--I much prefer the tiny little button-style ones. I've got several centerfire tube guns and I always have Gary keep the hand stop, and use the cost of it for the modifications I have him do to the stock. (Thinned buttstock hanger to shorten length of pull, Anschutz forend rail cut, part of the trigger guard removed, and a buttplate that I can attach a proper smallbore buttplate to)

Despite the things I change, I really like my tube gun stock, especially since I have it set up the same way as my center fire prone guns. (And very similar to my space gun for across-the-course shooting)
Vlad

Post by Vlad »

Does someone know, can you buy anykind Tubegun stock from (or to) Europe?
hddriver1

Post by hddriver1 »

Vlad wrote:Does someone know, can you buy anykind Tubegun stock from (or to) Europe?
you can try asking these guys. There are two manufacturers in the U.S. I know of

http://www.competitionshootingstuff.com/index.html

http://www.tubegun.net/

You can send them en e-mail and inquire.

Pat
davidd

Post by davidd »

US makers cant ship stocks out of the country very easy anymore due to export restrictions.

hddriver1 wrote:
Vlad wrote:Does someone know, can you buy anykind Tubegun stock from (or to) Europe?
you can try asking these guys. There are two manufacturers in the U.S. I know of

http://www.competitionshootingstuff.com/index.html

http://www.tubegun.net/

You can send them en e-mail and inquire.

Pat
NateG

Post by NateG »

Eliseo (competition shooting stuff) is exporting stocks to Australia. But at least one UK shooter (Laurie Holland, or something similar, I believe) who is a huge fan of the Eliseo stocks hasn't been able to get any more of them for quite some time. He got one for a Barnard action, but very shortly after, the exports were pretty much stopped.