Australian based HSG Custom Six Revolver

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Brian James

Australian based HSG Custom Six Revolver

Post by Brian James »

I stumbled across this revolver from Australia, and thought it was a great idea. I no nothing more than what's stated on the website. It looks like it may be an option for some shooters wanting a 32 S&W Long revolver based on a S&W model 14.

Sadly in Canada it is not available for us to import.

http://www.hermannsguns.com/index.php?p ... &Itemid=71

Brian
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

Brian, looks like they have 're-created' the old Dan Wesson design. If you want it see if they will sell you the .38 parts, get a Model 16 - even one of the later versions, and we can build it!

Cheers --- Dr Jim
SS-AU

Post by SS-AU »

I actually own one for shooting Service 50 (Australian competition). The gun is extremely accurate at the 50m section if I'm shooting well I can get most shots in the 10 ring (the gun is more accurate than I can currently shoot it).

It's not a copy of the Dan Wesson - the shroud attaches completely differently.
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

SS-AU wrote:
It's not a copy of the Dan Wesson - the shroud attaches completely differently.
Glad to hear it works, but from the photos, it shows it to be the same basic design - shroud, barrel threaded at both ends, and a nut to "tension" the barrel into locked condition. As I vaguely recall, the Wessons displayed some variation in grouping dependent on how heavily the nut was torqued down. Could be a good "tuning" mechanism, certainly improves the flexibility of the firearm's utility.

Dr Jim
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

SS-AU wrote:...Service 50 (Australian competition)...
A new Australian event?
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

SS-AU wrote:...Service 50 (Australian competition)...
A new Australian event?
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

From my year in Canberra, I recall seeing the "Service Pistol" and "Service Pistol- Unrestricted" matches. I remember one stage being fired at 50 metres as part of these events, but not as a separate entity, but things may have changed since 1989.

Dr Jim
SS-AU

Post by SS-AU »

Hi Jim,

You're memory isn't going or anything I call service pistol service 50 (or even short just 50). The course of fire for the Australia service events is here:

http://www.pistol.org.au/Comps/PAMatches.php#ServPist

Both are fun matches to shoot (Power factor requirements since they're not shown on that page is 120,000 for 50 and 60,000 for 25). Unfortunately the timings aren't given there but they're available at other places on the web.

Shane
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

Yeah, thats pretty much what I remember. Never shot it, but did shoot PPC in Canada for a while during the early 90s, and it is much the same kind of match. Still use the old ISU 'oval' target?

Dr Jim
SS-AU

Post by SS-AU »

Yeah, still the same target for service match. Service 25 uses the 25m ISSF rapid fire targets though. The only other thing that's changed over time (and you may have been before or after this) is that Service 25 has gone from 2" revolvers to 4" because of legal restrictions on barrel lengths here.
WSmith

HSG Custom Six Revolver

Post by WSmith »

Curious about this revolver after reviewing Hermann's Guns web sight, I called Australia and spoke to Hermann a few weeks ago. (Hermann is no fan of the .32 S&W Long cartridge when I asked about available chamberings. Seems to a be big fan of the .38 Special.)

I was just about to ask if there were any U.S. importers in preparation of ordering, when I decided to ask the price with a single barrel. To my surprise, it's was $3999 AUS! At today's exchange rate, that's $4175 US and that's just to get started. I was so surprised that I didn't bother asking the cost of additional barrels and cylinders.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I was just about to ask if there were any U.S. importers in preparation of ordering, when I decided to ask the price with a single barrel. To my surprise, it's was $3999 AUS! At today's exchange rate, that's $4175 US and that's just to get started. I was so surprised that I didn't bother asking the cost of additional barrels and cylinders.
I too felt it was outside what I wanted to pay for a service match pistol. However, the standard of engineering produced by Hermann is nothing short of amazing, and the finished product is extremely impressive.
I saw one of thse pistols recently at the Melbourne Shot Show, and was overcome by feelings of envy and desire.
For any well heeled shooters out there....this is the real deal.
Leon

Post by Leon »

Wow - I think $AUD3999 is a big ask for what is essentially a K frame with a different barrel.

You could buy a new Manurhin Match and still have more than $1100 in change for that....