Mixing jacketed and lead

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

SShearer

Mixing jacketed and lead

Post by SShearer »

I'm wanting to shoot jacketed match bullets at 50yds and cast bullets at 25. I will be using the same gun for CF and 45. Is it bad for the barrel to be going from one to another without cleaning it and will it affect accuracy?
marvelshooter

Post by marvelshooter »

I don't know what the experts will tell you but I used to do it all the time without any problem or loss of accuracy. The only reason I stopped doing it was I found a lead bullet that shot just as good at 50 yards as the jacketed bullet I was using.
Dan Allen
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Some gunsmiths think that the problem occurs when you shoot jacked at the long line and then lead at the short line, and then jacketed again without cleaning the gun. In other words, lead can follow jacketed but jacketed following lead will drive the lead into the barrel and hurt it.

I think the risk is not non existent but I believe somewhat over blown because it may depend on what kind of lead bullets that you are using, and the gun in question. Compensators seem to cause barrels to lead up for some reason. If the lead bullets are too hard they will lead the barrel and leave deposits for the jacked bullets to drive in to the walls of the barrel. If you are using a soft swagged lead bullet, and no compensator, you probably won't have a problem. At least this is what some of my friends who seem to know a lot more about bullets than I do, say.
hill987

Post by hill987 »

The only problem is shorter barrel life,. But if you don't shoot alot of matches you will be ok
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

If you shoot hard lead and not swaged, it is not a problem.
Chris
SShearer

Post by SShearer »

Thanks for the replys, I should have time to clean the barrel between the CF and 45 match or just change guns.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I doubt you will have any problems It is a common practice to shoot jacketed bullets to remove leading, rarely a problem in a .45 auto.

It IS claimed the copper deposits reduce accuracy when switching to lead bullets, but I doubt you would have a problem at the relatively low (compared to a rifle) accuracy level of a .45 target gun..