CCI Misfires

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Billy75

CCI Misfires

Post by Billy75 »

Hi,

I have recently been experiencing a lot of misfires using CCI in AW93 guns. We have two AW93's in the family and both are having the same trouble.

Never had any trouble up untill starting a new case of ammo.

Despite thouroughly cleaning both guns, the problem persists.

Took particular care to ensure the slide was closing completely, but the round does not go off.

It is occuring at least every 15 rounds.

Changed to SK Pistol match and the problem hasnt returned.

Unfortunately I have 4000 rounds of CCI remaining....

Has anyone heard of any recent troubles like this?

Cheers Billy
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Billy, I have not experienced your problems with CCI...however, that being said---all .22 lr specially can become unreliable when the primer process is flawed. Try another lot number if you can----Have you tried the CCI on a different gun? It would be a clue wherein the problem lies. AW 93 is a fairly sophisticated (expensive) gun which may begin to prefer a better grade of ammo i.e SK. You have already cleaned the gun so that's not where the problem is. How many rounds have gone through the gun? Parts may wear, springs may lose their ooomph---???? My TOZ will not load CCI because the bases are too thick, my Hi-Standard Citation ca. 1974 shoots CCI SV with zero problems as well as RWS Target Rifle ammo. Mebbe other AW93 owners should check in with their expereinces. "Doc"
skylark

Post by skylark »

Try taking one of the misfired rounds apart.

We recently had some cheap ammo which kept misfiring (a round which misfired would never go off no matter how many times you put it back in, or what gun) and when we took a round apart and tipped the contents out there simply wasn't any primer in it at all.

Can't remember the manufacturer, but this was in the UK so probably not the same.
Billy75

Post by Billy75 »

Thanks for your opinions.

Both AW93's have fired a lot of rounds....in the tens of thousands....

I will disassemble a round next time we are at the range and a misfire occurs.

I was quite concerned as the last competition we were at we witness a very large number of malfunctions during the match. (Spencer may be able to shed some light on those malfunctions as he was officiating at Burilda CMPC??)

I am not sure whether these were due to the same ammunition being used or not.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

what is the lot number and can you tell where it was made? I had one case of CCI that I had some problems with misfires. I noticed after I got it that it had no lot number on the box. If ammo has been roughly handed, my understanding is the primer compound can break into pieces and if your firing pin strikes in one of the gaps you can get a misfire. If you turn the round and the try firing it again, and it goes, this is most likely the problem.
Billy75

Post by Billy75 »

Hi Isabell,

I cant find anything on the boxes to state a batch number, but it does have the following series of numbers.

40256 Rev C MRP8201002 above the barcode on the "brick" box of 500

At the lower right corner of the front of the "brick" box of 500 it has 50035

On the front lower right corner of the box of 50 rounds it has 0035.

Above the barcode on the box of 50 rounds it has 40006 Rev D MRP 8200003

I do not know if any of these are the batch numbers, but the Box indicates they were made in the USA.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Billy75 wrote:Thanks for your opinions.

Both AW93's have fired a lot of rounds....in the tens of thousands....

I will disassemble a round next time we are at the range and a misfire occurs.

I was quite concerned as the last competition we were at we witness a very large number of malfunctions during the match. (Spencer may be able to shed some light on those malfunctions as he was officiating at Burilda CMPC??)

I am not sure whether these were due to the same ammunition being used or not.
1/ there were numerous brands being used at that competition and I did not notice any particular brand as being troublesome - though chances are many of those shooters would have been using CCI SV. Most of the malfunctions I saw on the 25m line were failures to eject all the way out of the pistol.
2/ check the questionable ammo in a number of pistols at your club: if it's your pistol, tough (my H208 does not like CCI SV, but the Morini CM22M RF loves it): if it's the ammo, return it to the retailer for replacement/refund.
Billy75

Post by Billy75 »

Thanks Spencer,

I cant remember seeing as many malfunctions as I saw at that competition.

Both AW93's usually love the CCI SV but have only started malfunctioning with this latest case.

I dont know if it is a coincidence, but the packaging is different from the last case I purchased too.

With the amount of training we do, it wont be that long before it is used up so I wont really bother with returning it, as I do not have the receipt.

It has also been good to see the "flinch" reaction when the shot doesnt fire.
left360

Post by left360 »

my understanding is the primer compound can break into pieces and if your firing pin strikes in one of the gaps you can get a misfire
Of the failure to fire CCI-SV that I've taken apart, this is mostly what I've seen. Gaps in the primer compound in the rim with the pieces of primer compound mixed in the propellant. Still, I only get one about every 1500-2000 rounds.

The lot number is embossed on the bottom of the box. You have to hold it in the light just so to see it.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Billy75 wrote:...I cant remember seeing as many malfunctions as I saw at that competition...
wish I could say the same!
j-team

Post by j-team »

left360 wrote: Of the failure to fire CCI-SV that I've taken apart, this is mostly what I've seen. Gaps in the primer compound in the rim with the pieces of primer compound mixed in the propellant. Still, I only get one about every 1500-2000 rounds.
This can be caused by a too sharp firing pin. Rather than crushing the brass, and therefore the priming compound, to ignite it, a too sharp firing pin will act like a chisel in the rim of the case, parting the priming compound causing it to shatter away.

Also, the firing pin needs to strike opposite the wall of the case body in order to pinch the compound. If your strike is too far towards the edge of the rim you are trying to crush solid brass, if it's too far towards the centre of the round, there is nothing to oppose the strike (all hammer and no anvil).
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

We've had a lot of really crap CCI in Aus lately, rounds in the box with the bullet bent over, crushed cases. Not so sure about misfires.

Post by Guest »

G'day, our club had a similar problem with Fiocci bvlue box ammo so this batch we went for CCI sv. 30000 rounds later- maybe half a dozen misfires, mainly due to dirty guns. Not 1 in my h208. different batch - probably. thruxtonTT6FZ
Billy75

Post by Billy75 »

Had a chat with the gun shop I bought the CCI's from.

Although he said he hadnt heard of any issues, he offered to swap them over for a different batch. Great customer service!
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

[quote="Billy75"]...Although he said he hadnt heard of any issues...quote]

One of the problems is that few shooters will take 'bad' ammunition back for refund/exchange - as a result, the manufacturer does not get any feedback about problems.

A couple of decades back, T22 was arguably the biggest seller for target pistol here in AUS, then the problems began: several 'duds' per box of 50!. By the time Winchester found out that a couple of thousand shooters were cheesed off by the ammunition it was too late - most would never run the risk with T22 again.

I used winchester supplied T22 for testing the 25m and 50m targets prior for the 2000 Olympics (lots of shots on each of the targets at SISC range) and found that it was reliable and accurate, but like many others I had already switched to another brand for my rimfire pistol shooting.
Billy75

Post by Billy75 »

When I spoke with the manager, he assured me he would take the problem up with the importer, not merely cycle them back through the shelves.

I spoke with a member of a resident club at SISC this morning and they have been having similar problems with CCI.

Hope it can be resolved as I dont like the idea of training and competing with SK...$$$$
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

in fairness to CCI SV, my Morini is chewing its way through its 3rd case of recently purchased CCI with only one 'dud' round (so far).
Last edited by Spencer on Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Billy75

Post by Billy75 »

I agree, our AW93's have used four cases before this one.

Hopefully the replacement ammunition works well.
Billy75

Post by Billy75 »

Training this week, been through 175 SK's without a misfire.

Hurts the hip pocket a little though.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

I've had at least two cases of SK without a misfire.