Fixed barrel centerfires?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Levergun59

Fixed barrel centerfires?

Post by Levergun59 »

Why haven't fixed barrel centerfire pistols like the Luger and the H@K P7 caught on in centerfire and 45? You take a 1911 and probably put $1000.00 into minimising slide play and barrel endplay, yet fixed barrel pistols have not made an inroad in Bullseye other than in 22 cal. Is it due to the recoil pulse from one of these guns? I would think that with the advances like the Kriss machine pistol, where the recoil from that unique action does not raise the barrel, that somebody would give us a nexgen target pistol with a fixed barrel. Just a thought.
Chris
fc60

Fixed Barrel Target Pistols

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

Almost all 32 S&W WadCutter autoloading pistols have fixed barrels and shoot quite well.

Cheers,

Dave
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

The Kriss action looks good on paper, but it might not be ready for prime time. I spoke with a fellow at a gun shop (part time there, part time shooting instructor, full time police officer) and he said they are unreliable and the reduction in recoil is not that great. One Kriss they had sold was returned to the manufacturer 3 times, the one they had for rent at the range misfeeds every 4 or 5 rounds and one that was sent to the local police to test was sent back as unusable.

Roger
ghillieman

Next Generation Centerfire Bullseye Pistol

Post by ghillieman »

I have been mulling over an answer to this question for over a year now. There is a lot of stuff to take account for. For high pressure cartridges like the .45, relatively high anyways, you have to have some way to bring the pressures down before you pull the case out of the chamber. This is why most semi-auto's have a locking system, and why they have so many moving parts. With a fixed barrel you have to have another system, inertia maybe?

So I've been thinking revolver is the way to go. A semi-auto revolver, but how do you turn the cylinder? Webley's were too clunky, with Mateba half the gun moves, possibly gas operated similar to the Desert Eagle? The best I've come up with is a spring/rachet system that you wind up when you load the cylinder. But the devil is in the details ;).

I've been shooting a .38 revolver for the DR matches and I think revolvers are the way to go. Complete freedom in loading, any powder load, any bullet type, nearly any weight. One of the best parts about shooting revolvers is that you dont have to search for your brass afterwards, its all right there.

Now the grip should also be interchageable too. I shoot a Pardini SP for .22 matches and their grips are the best. With the way it mounts I can produce anything, any shape grip, and as long as it is inletted for the mounting block it will fit. Similar to the grip mount on an AR-15.

So a semi-automatic revolver with a fixed barrel that the optics mount directly onto, and an interchangeable grip. Possible caliber's, rimmed, .45 Auto Rim, .45 Colt (maybe trimmed), .38 SPL, .32 S&W Long. Non rimmed calibers .45 Auto, 9X19P, .32 Auto.

Just throwing it out there.