Compact vs. Standard barrel length

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Antoni Scott

Compact vs. Standard barrel length

Post by Antoni Scott »

I recently aquired the Steyr LP-2 compact. I had experience with LP-50 rapid fire full length pistol and thought that maybe my poor pistol shooting may be possibly attributable in small part to the longer barrel. Poor follow through induces barrel whip and although it may be imperceptible to the shooter it translates into poorer scores. I was right. I shoot better with the shorter barrel despite the reduced sight radius.

For decades I always thought that a longer barrel would give me better scores as well as better accuracy. I'm sure it does, but my poor follow through technique degrades scores far greater than aiming accuracy. Fortunately for the Steyr, I understand that it is easy to replace the long barrel with a short one, and vica-versa.

Just a thought.

Antoni
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

I've noticed that shooting a shorter sight radius requires greater attention to alignment than my pistol with a longer sight radius.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I also have found that my scores have improved with the shorter barrel and sight radius of the compact models.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

I find I shoot better because of the shorter sight radius.
Last edited by JamesH on Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
madmax

barrel length

Post by madmax »

Try shooting free pistol with your semi-auto. Shorter barrel, shorter sight radius - could give you a surprise!!
JamesH

Re: barrel length

Post by JamesH »

madmax wrote:Try shooting free pistol with your semi-auto. Shorter barrel, shorter sight radius - could give you a surprise!!
I do shoot FP better with my SP, still nowhere near getting to grips with FP.