USA Shooting Rule Changes

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

USA Shooting Rule Changes

Post by Guest »

New age group categories to include Intermediate Senior and Senior classifications. In a Senior class only, a diopter lens up to 1.5 may be used in either the front or rear sight, but not both. The rule relates that it is the intention to include older shooters in continuing competition. The rule then states that a Senior using a lens cannot participate in finals nor be eligible for any awards. My question - Why then even bother to change the rule? Who would participate? It says, we will take your (costly) match fee, but make you ineligible. I can't type what I am really thinking because it will be ugly.

Dennis

Post by Guest »

What is the problem? are you shooting for the enjoyment of the sport and opportunity to fellowship with like minded practioners? or are you doing becaue you think you are going to win an Olympic medal? This rule was brought into place at the request of seniors who want to particapte. Do you know anything about Bullseye where scopes and red dots predominate over iron sights because it allows aging eyes to be competitve?
dlinden

Post by dlinden »

Yes, I know something about Bullseye, but I don't understand your point if there is one. I shot Master scores in BE and used irons and red dots. I think you will find that scopes are virtually not used by anyone. Brian Zins, who has won 10-11 national championships did so with a red dot in each of those. That had nothing to do with aging eyes.

When I shot on the International Dewar smallbore rifle team this past summer, I and quite a few others did so with a front diopter lens. No big deal.

If I enter a match it is for fun and competition. And yes, I go to each match hoping to win, make finals, or be eligible for awards if there are any. It is a shooting competition, not a seeing competition. I object to letting someone in the door, but not allowing them to compete.

Dennis L
pal177

Post by pal177 »

Yes, it sure sounds strange that a participant wouldn't be allowed any award, ESPECIALLY an award in that particular category where the lens is allowed.
SIE107

Post by SIE107 »

I will have to agree that this rule change is a bunch of crap! The lens is to aid being able to see. It does not help your scores, scores come from execution. But it is hard to execute a good shot when you can't see.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Agreed it does sound odd. It's understandable, but it descrimates against younger shooters with bad eyes. It would also be sensible to allow shooters to compete throughout the event including the finals. You either make the lenses legal or you ban them, you can't make them half-legal (IMHO).

Rob.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

I'm wondering what the uproar is all about, as that portion of the rule concerning "enhancement" and "awards" has not changed since at least the 2005 edition of the rules.

Current (2011) edition just deletes the old S1 class and renames the S2 and S3 classes.
peterz

Post by peterz »

What are the age limits for the "senior" classes?

pz