My Morini 162EI is a Tool Not Investment

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Bob LeDoux

My Morini 162EI is a Tool Not Investment

Post by Bob LeDoux »

I’m responding here because I’m selling my Morini, considering trade for a FWB 100 series pistol, which has resulted in some pointed questions to me.

The question concerns why I’m willing to trade a current generation PCP pistol for an older SSP.

My response: An electronic PCP pistol is a “tool” and not an “investment.” It contains expensive, limited life components like air cylinders and electronics. Eventually the cylinders must be replaced and the electronics may fail. The future value of the gun depends on continued support of the factory.

I’m 65 years old and have been shooting most of my life. I still want to shoot, but not with the intensity of my past. So I want a pistol that will hold its value and not outlive its support. This puts electronics and PCP out of the picture.

Remember the Walther free pistol? The company stopped support for the gun. Electronic boards failed and owners were left with a hammer.

Certain historic air pistols have held their value well. Consider the forty year old FWB 65. I like the FWB 100 series for shooting and value retention. These pistols originally cost more than their CO2 or PCP contemporaries. They were made in few numbers and still have strong market appeal.

That’s why I’m considering a FWB 100 series pistol in trade for my Morini.

I read "The Bluebook of Airgun Values" so I know the FWB 102 and 103 are closer in value to my Morini.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Well said!

I think your pistol is very reasonably priced and would hold out for a 103 for newer manufacture and higher velocity. I'd swap my PCP in a second for a 103.

If you look through a few of my older posts you'll find I have lots to say on the subject of SSPs VS PCPs. Funny, but they didn't seem to sit well with some here.

My scores have declined as I aged, but I see that my old scores shot with FWB 65 and such have held up damn well against modern shooters with the new toys. (And no, I'm not talking about the world record setters.)

Power to the Pumper!!!
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Rover wrote:My scores have declined as I aged, but I see that my old scores shot with FWB 65 and such have held up damn well against modern shooters with the new toys. (And no, I'm not talking about the world record setters.)
How do you know that you are comparing your historical scores with those from shooters of the same ability.

It could just be a case that you were a better shooter then than they are now.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I don't snoop into it too heavily. I remember my average for a league I used to shoot plus my "hot" match scores. I look and see what the match winners from other shoots are doing (State Championships, etc.) plus whatever matches I happen to be competing in.

It is more an impression than a strict statistical analysis. It's also more about what the higher average guys are doing. It's easy enough here to pull up the National Rankings of the competitive shooters and their average score.

This post is about pistols. I don't think it will hurt most people to compete with a FWB 103 (or Pardini 58, etc.).
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

So what is the advantage, real or perceived, of PCP over SSP?

Do they predominate in high end competition because they look cool or because of sponsorships? To be honest, I can't think of a reason why a well made SSP couldn't shoot as well as a PCP. It seems to me that the only thing a SSP can't do that a PCP can is easily adjust the pellet velocity, but wouldn't that be a reasonable trade-off to have a simpler device? Would a SSP with an electronic trigger be a desirable item, Bob's concerns notwithstanding?

Lots of questions, I know, but that's what newbies do.

Roger
peterz

Post by peterz »

There is this: With a PCP the shooter does not have to shift grip and position, and need not expend fairly considerable muscle effort, in order to cock the pistol for the next shot.

Those are the main advantages of the PCP. Additional advantages of more modern APs include the recoil absorber and the compensator.
AK Pistol

Post by AK Pistol »

You really need to assess your individual situation and goals. As Bob said he is not looking to compete at the top levels, just having fun on a local level. Here in Alaska many will never get to the accuracy potential of their IZH's or even Daisy's and for them these are fine. Others enjoy shooting the finest available again even though they shoot in the 80% range.

Equipment is a personal choice based on many factors. Get what suits you and enjoy. Too much energy seems to be spent on what to buy rather than on learning and enjoying the sport. My personal council to my shooting students is to buy the best equipment they can afford and then forget about it and practice. If they can only afford a Daisy, that is fine. If they can afford a Steyr that is good to.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Here's the way I see it:

SSP (+FWB65) Pros... needs no accessories (considerable $aving up front); is ready to go when you are; has lowest shot to shot deviation (NRA); is not affected by temp (CO2) or fill level; repairs generally only require O-rings. Old FWB65s are still running.

SSP Cons... is affected by altitude (try one at OTC, Colorado Springs); may tire you if you are puny (I personally never experienced this), but does not require that you change your grip or stance.

The above pretty much applies to FWB 65 as well.

PCP (and CO2) Pros... some models have recoil control devices; are easy to load and cock; electric trigger available (But see FWB 90); some claim they are easier to shoot well.

PCP Cons... expensive accessories; you get hassled at the airport; talk of replacing expensive aging cylinders; electronic aging out; may be affected by fill level or temp (CO2).

There is absolutely no difference in accuracy between all types.

You pays your money and you takes your choice. I prefer KISS.
Eurastus

Post by Eurastus »

Rover wrote:I prefer KISS.
Me too.

I could have bought any AP on the market, but chose to get a couple of FWB 103's for simplicity's sake. They're not hard to pump at all.

I was lucky to find a couple of used 103's that looked like they'd never been shot.

I figure they'll last me until I die or get too blind to shoot.

Oh yea, I don't change either my grip or my position as I pump.

And I shoot at 5000 feet in altitude with no problems.
BEA

Tool/Investment

Post by BEA »

By all means, shoot whichever pistol you want to. However, I wouldn't base any decisions with the Walther in mind. I was shooting back then and their FP was DOA. I only remember one shooter using one in the 20+ years that I shot FP. It was a battery eater for sure and prone to problems. The popular models now are good for countless thousands of trouble free rounds, whether electric or mechanical.