Vargas Iris

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

jpach

Vargas Iris

Post by jpach »

The leaves on my Vargas Iris got stuck together, so I had to disassemble it to clean them. I'm now a little stumped on how to reassemble the iris. Any tips or suggestions?

Post by Guest »

I have no idea but I have a more or less close up picture of mine... Image

What did you clean them with?
v76

Post by v76 »

Argh.. that was my response up!
jpach

Post by jpach »

I cleaned them with rubbing alcohol. I would like to put a light protective and lubricating coating on them, but I'm not sure what to use.
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Have you got it back together yet?

Mine self-disassembles (!) from time to time because there's too much clearance between the circlip and the rotating ring that it retains. One day, I will make a shim out of plastic shimstock.

Reassembly is tedious. I place the pin of each leaf in the fixed ring holes, laying them in a full-open position, then lower the rotating ring onto the opposite set of pins. Then it's a matter of gently poking things into alignment with something like a dental probe or a sharp bamboo BBQ skewer. Cursing and swearing is sometimes necessary...

Don't use any lubricant or anti-corrosion preparation that leaves a wet film. Surface tension will cause the leaves to 'stick' together, preventing movement and causing an 'involuntary disassembly'. I know because...

As to what to use, I don't know - my iris is slowly corroding...