Anschutz 4765 vs. MEC Free Position?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

dmdattner

Anschutz 4765 vs. MEC Free Position?

Post by dmdattner »

Hi folks.

I'm a Highpower shooter who started shooting smallbore four years ago. I began with a .22LR Service Rifle upper and bought an Anschutz 1813 a couple years back. My scores jumped immediately and what began as a wintertime diversion apparently has taken on a life of its own...

I'm looking to upgrade my stock in the relatively near future and have settled on a 1918 Precise. I'm now debating between an Anschutz 4765 buttplate, or a MEC Free Position.

Could you please offer your opinions on which of the two is preferable? Ease of adjustment and overall levels of customization are my two principal concerns.

Thanks in advance.

Derek
Last edited by dmdattner on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Derek, I have an earlier version of the MEC for kneeling, and have used the 4765 for prone for several years now. I use an HPS butt plate for standing. The MEC is nice but I could never get it to feel right due the straight line that's it's hook makes, and I haven't been able to get it to conform to the shape of my shoulder. The 4765 is ok, but not great either, though many people certainly use them with good success. I don't like the hardware design and the lack of a perfect shoulder fit, again. As a MEC dealer and Anschutz dealer, I can get and sell them both, but I'm always looking for better products.

Just recently I took possession of a TECHRO Fusion butt plate since we'll be selling them now at 10.9 LLC. I've tested it for a couple of weeks and I like it a great deal. Each tab on the shoulder surface rotates on it's own ball joint and I get really good contact in my shoulder. Plus, the hook portion has five segments and is multi-axis adjustable all on its own. The hook is so slick, that we're incorporating it into our own 10.9 buttplate design for junior rifles.

So I'm going to shoot the TECHRO this week at the Rocky Mountain Championships for men's prone and give it the real test. If I shoot poorly it will be for lack of practice, not poor equipment.

Sorry for the shameless plug, but this item is new to the market and really worthy of consideration.
- Larry Sawyer, 10.9 LLC
supermatch

Post by supermatch »

The TEC-HRO Fusion (which has been on the market for well over a year by the way) is indeed a very good buttplate. The ball joints on the upper and lower plates is a very good idea.

But if you want even more customisation options the HPS System Gemini buttplate is the most adjustable you can buy. The Grunig would be next in my opinion.

The hooks on the Free Position / Anschutz 4765 are not very adjustable, but the plates themselves are very good.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I thought the Precise stocks ships with the buttplate. I guess maybe the dealer could exchange it for you. For off hand, I am using the new buttplate on the precise 9003. So far I like it. It has rubber prongs that can be contoured to your shoulder.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

I should be getting the MEC stock shortly. but I will not be getting it with the buttplates. I am going to get the TEC-HRO buttplates. They offer a larger adjustment range for not a large price increase.
Matt
Globesmasher17

Post by Globesmasher17 »

supermatch wrote:
The hooks on the Free Position / Anschutz 4765 are not very adjustable, but the plates themselves are very good.
Concur with supermatch, the 4765 is a great butt plate in and of itself but the hook is not very "adjustable". I don't like the hook myself - everything else is good.