Synthetic oil

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Freepistol

Synthetic oil

Post by Freepistol »

Is anyone using synthetic motor oil on their semi-automatic pistols? I am thinking of using it on my Unique to make it last longer, however, I am concerned that the pistol was set up with a recoil spring based on the friction of conventional gun lube. I don't want to chance beating up the gun as I don't have access to spare parts.

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t ... light=ipsc

Thanks!
Ben
BEA

synthetic oil

Post by BEA »

Synthetic oil shouldn't hurt anything, but it likely won't help either. The benefit to it is that it isn't as effected by extreme temps, but that likely won't apply to the conditions under which you shoot. Another benefit is that is won't break down as quickly over time, but I assume you clean your pistol regularly anyway. I do not know what additives motor oil contains and how they apply to firearms, but I use synthetic gun oil, only because it was given to me. Otherwise, I think keeping your pistol clean and lubed, even with standard gun oil, is the best you can do to make it last.
william

Post by william »

I couldn't tell you what kind of pistol it was, but I remember a shooter 20 or 25 years ago who claimed he dunked his pistol in Mobil 1 and hung it on a dowel for a day or 2 to drain then wiped it down to dry the external surfaces. Struck me as beyond odd, but he swore by it.
zoned

Post by zoned »

william wrote:... who claimed he dunked his pistol in Mobil 1 and hung it on a dowel for a day or 2 to drain then wiped it down to dry the external surfaces. Struck me as beyond odd, but he swore by it.
"Odd" works very well. Over the years I've dunked my plinkers and match handguns in Mobil-1, Castrol SynTec, and ATF with excellent results. The process is much quicker, though, if you blow out the excess with compressed air. Also, dunk them in naphtha to clean them.
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Auto engine oils contain all sorts of additives which are irrelevant to the benign conditions they face in a pistol. Years ago, engine oils trumpeted their detergent content. This was to keep particulates in suspension, so that they would be carried to the oil filter and trapped. Once, I had some newly-machined components I needed to keep in a damp environment for some time. I smothered them in best engine oil. A few weeks later, the corrosion was as impressive as it was depressing. Due, I believe, to the detergent having an affinity to moisture in the air. I don't know whether synthetic engine oils have this problem, but many industrial oils, such as hydraulic oils claim impressive anti-corrosion properties.

Another worry is that oil will trap any dirt and dust, turning it into a fine grinding paste. A good reason to clean regularly and oil very sparingly. The PTFE-containing 'dry' lubricants are said by some to be good for semi-autos. Dirt and dust should fall off. I have used them for this purpose, but still use oil, probably out of laziness.

What do others think about 'dry' lubricants?
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

[quote="Shooting Kiwi"]. . . . I smothered them in best engine oil. A few weeks later, the corrosion was as impressive as it was depressing. Due, I believe, to the detergent having an affinity to moisture in the air. I don't know whether synthetic engine oils have this problem, but many industrial oils, such as hydraulic oils claim impressive anti-corrosion properties.

. . . . . quote]

That's an important point that I forgot about, Shooting Kiwi. I had an airplane with an auto engine powerplant. We were warned about using a full synthetic because it does hold moisture if not run to cause the moisture to evaporate.
No full synthetic for me. Thanks, Shooting Kiwi!
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Why would you think that using synthetic engine oil in your pistol would make your pistol last longer?

Would you put gas turbine oil in your car engine and expect it to last longer?
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

Hi Ben,

I've been faithfully using Break Free lubricant / protectant on my Unique's and other pistols including all my rifles. It has been keeping all tha actions slick and rust free with no wories of trapping moisture behind.
I always keep on hand a small quantity of Q-tips in a ziploc bag and when ready for use just apply with a few drops of Break Free for dabbing into those difficult nooks for general purpose cleaning.

A complete breakdown the same product just a thorough wipedown with patches & Q-tips and a light film of Break Free.
zoned

Post by zoned »

JamesH wrote:Why would you think that using synthetic engine oil in your pistol would make your pistol last longer?...
Technically, synthetic has better film strength to keep high-load parts from wearing and galling. It's splitting hairs, of course, YMMV. ;-)

I prefer synthetic because it is very slippery stuff and makes a noticeable improvement in trigger pull. One of the firearm synthetics I've tried that makes a surprising difference is Gun Butter. Applied to a sear, it feels as slick as Moly.
http://www.gunbutter.com/?page_id=2
Alex L

Synthetic Oil

Post by Alex L »

I have 3 different types of oil, - all have synthetic and teflon qualities.
The first one is made by Birchwood Casey - synthetic gun oil. It is a spray can.
The 2nd one is LiquiMoly - guntec, also a small pressure can
the 3rd one is TriFlo - Synthesized lubricant with Teflon - again a small pressure can.

I use the oils on the trigger mechanisms of my Walther, and also the slide, and the spring on the magazine. They seem good, and are not accumulating powder residue.

I only use these oils when I strip down the gun for preparing for a competition. There is no corrosion showing up after about 25 years!
(that does not mean I am that old!!!!! )
All the cans have been used for quite a while, and still hold the pressure.
Recently, I experimented with Automatic Gear box oil (synthetic), which I have for filling up the car. It is not as good as the proper gun oil.

Nothing lasts for ever, and corrosion, and acid from your hands will affect the gun - inside and outside. The best solution is every time you use the gun, wipe it down afterwards will an oily rag.

Regards, Alex L. from very warm Melbourne!
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

zoned wrote:
JamesH wrote:Why would you think that using synthetic engine oil in your pistol would make your pistol last longer?...
Technically, synthetic has better film strength to keep high-load parts from wearing and galling. It's splitting hairs, of course, YMMV. ;-)

I prefer synthetic because it is very slippery stuff and makes a noticeable improvement in trigger pull. One of the firearm synthetics I've tried that makes a surprising difference is Gun Butter. Applied to a sear, it feels as slick as Moly.
http://www.gunbutter.com/?page_id=2
Why ENGINE oil though?

Engine oil and gun oil are as different as petrol and diesel.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Most of the IPSC shooters use grease to lubricate the slide and frame rails of their pistols. Their guns see a lot of use - several hundred rounds of max load .45 or 9mm at a match is not unusual. I have also used grease on my .45 Bullseye pistol and can say that it works well. I don't think it would be a good idea on a rim fire pistol since it may not cycle properly
sjanny01
Banned

Post by sjanny01 »

The benefit to it is that it isn't as effected by extreme temps, but that likely won't apply to the conditions under which you shoot. Another benefit is that is won't break down as quickly over time, but I assume you clean your pistol regularly anyway. I do not know what additives motor oil contains and how they apply to firearms, but I use synthetic gun oil, only because it was given to me.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Fred Mannis wrote:Most of the IPSC shooters use grease to lubricate the slide and frame rails of their pistols. Their guns see a lot of use - several hundred rounds of max load .45 or 9mm at a match is not unusual. I have also used grease on my .45 Bullseye pistol and can say that it works well. I don't think it would be a good idea on a rim fire pistol since it may not cycle properly
I typically use grease on the slide rails of my pistols, and a dab where the slide rubs on top of the hammer. However, my Benelli .22 MP90S won't cycle reliably with anything but a light oil on it. It works quite well that way, but the viscosity of a relatively small amount of light grease is enough to make it fussy.
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

More relevant to airgun users...

I remember reading a warning about possible oil-seal incompatibility with synthetic oil, but age and the passage of too much time (possibly alcohol too) means I have no idea where it was, nor what the precise information was. Therefore Google...

http://forums.noria.com/eve/forums/a/tp ... 3781046331

The penultimate contribution tells you far more than you would want to know. Essentially, the word 'synthetic' as applied to lubricants can mean so many things. I think I might just stick with what I'm familiar with...