Steyr LP10 air velocity

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Greg R

Steyr LP10 air velocity

Post by Greg R »

I know there is a air discharge screw at the back of the pistol to increase or decrease pellet velocity. Has anyone adjusted this and does it make any difference at all for more consistant shots. Also if you do adjust this what is needed to test the velocity?
Thanks.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

You need a chronograph to check the speed of a projectile.

Yes speed does make a difference on pellet accuracy.
MDK

Post by MDK »

Greg,
this video shows what you need:
http://www.youtube.com/steyrsportwaffen ... knIAlut_hE
Greg R

Post by Greg R »

I realise that to low and the pellet will drop but is too much a bad thing? If so , why? I ask as mine was adjusted up at one stage but I don't have a way of measuring.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Greg R wrote:...but I don't have a way of measuring.
Surely somebody in your club has a chronograph?
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Greg R wrote:I realise that to low and the pellet will drop but is too much a bad thing? If so , why? I ask as mine was adjusted up at one stage but I don't have a way of measuring.
Too low and the pellets won't punch clean holes.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Greg R wrote:I realise that to low and the pellet will drop but is too much a bad thing? If so , why? I ask as mine was adjusted up at one stage but I don't have a way of measuring.
There's more too it than that. The optimum speed gives the tighest groups, outside of that, and groups open up. The only way you can find that out though is by adjusting the velocity (and chrono it) and shoot groups from a vice, and keep adjusting and shooting.... And then see which is optimal.

Rob.
Forrest C.

Post by Forrest C. »

I adjusted my velocity screw about an 1/8th of a turn for each string of 10 shots and that narrowed down what velocity my pellets liked. I also made sure to go too low and too high in velocity to make sure that the groups were as tight as they were going to get.

Since we're on the question of optimizing velocity, have any of you been able to get your groups to match that of the test target? I've been able to get pretty sweet groupings, but I'm still a little off from the one pellet hole.