Is tennis elbow brace legal for AP?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
seamaster

Is tennis elbow brace legal for AP?

Post by seamaster »

I have been shooting with my Band-it tennis elbow brace on.

It seems to stabilize my gun a lot.

Is it legal to use tennis elbow brace during the match?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Not under ISSF rules.
randy1952

Re: Is tennis elbow brace legal for AP?

Post by randy1952 »

seamaster wrote:I have been shooting with my Band-it tennis elbow brace on.

It seems to stabilize my gun a lot.

Is it legal to use tennis elbow brace during the match?
Not under NRA or ISSF rules.

I know what you are going through as I got tennis elbow twice and it took me a year to recover each time. The problem was occurring when I locked my elbows. It took a bit of conscious effort, but I just had to learn not to lock my elbows and the problem never reoccurred.
Oz

Post by Oz »

Ahhhh! Michael, Randy... two of my favorite AP shooting comrades. Michael, I didn't know you were dealing with elbow issues as well.

You know I finished up 11 weeks of PT on my elbow right before WAG. I managed to shoot at WAG (after not shooting for 3 months) with mediocre (even for me) results. But... it started hurting again shortly after my return. Randy gave me some insight into the situation (from his experience) which was a sad reality, but after feeling it starting to hurt again... was undeniable.

I'm playing with air rifle to keep up with the precision shooting and recently started building up a long-range .308 for 1000 yard competition. It's fun, I'm spending tons of money on new stuff --and I miss AP dearly.

I also played with/considered the band... not being legal for use anywhere it was tough to justify training with it because it does change things significantly in competition.

Oz
Chris

Post by Chris »

I would use a band in training and then in a match do not use it. For me it does not have an impact on my scores. I seem to notice more of a problem when I grip firmly. In free and air I do not hold very hard but when I shot standard or bullseye I tend to grip harder and then my elbow starts to hurt.

Hope this helps.
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

I fight this problem, too. Everytime I think it is resolved, it comes back.

Personally, I think the ISSF is forcing some pistol shooters out of the sport over this issue. And, some are much younger than I am.

If you use a TE strap, it does give you the sensation that your grip is harder (in addition to stopping the pain). However, I seriously doubt that it is a competitive advantage.

If rifle shooters can use a sling, fancy clothing, and boots (all of which lock them up tighter than a drum), it seems to be a small request to let pistol shooters use a simple strap over their forearm muscles to relieve pain and prevent further injury.

Stan
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Good point. The contrast between a pistol shooter competing in street clothes and a rifle shooter in a "space suit" could not be greater.
AK Pistol

Post by AK Pistol »

I am new to this forum but have a shooting buddy who had surgery on a shoulder which caused him to shoot left handed for a few years. After a few months he was shooting nearly as well as when he shot right handed. Perhaps this would give your elbow the rest it needs to heal and you can stay in the sport.

I am thinking about getting into AP myself. My son went to the WAG match in December at the OTC and we had a blast! What a great group of people. I dusted off an old FWB90 and have got my scores up in the 520's to low 530's. With some work I think I can make the next match with him. We probably need newer equipment as he had the only SSP in the building! lol but still fun.

I think we are the only club holding AP matches in Alaska but hope to grow. I will probably have lots of questions going forward but it looks like I found the right place to ask!
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I would be a little hesitant recommending changing hands for shooting, yes it's easily done by many. The problem comes from the fact that once your dominant arm is out of action, your other arms will be doing more than it's normal share of everyday tasks. What is likely to happen is injury to that arm too, especially with the fact it is most likely your weaker arm to begin with. It truly is a recipe for repetitive strain/over use injury of the remaining good arm. So I'd approach it with some caution.

I would suggest take sometime off, seek good medical advice (sports doctor if you can find one). There is still some training you can do, for example shooting from a rest, work on sight picture and trigger control from a rest. what ever you do follow your doc's advice and get the proper physical therapy.
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

Chris wrote:I would use a band in training and then in a match do not use it. For me it does not have an impact on my scores.
Chris,

If this statement is true for all suffers of TE (no competitive advantage), then maybe someone ought to start a campaign to get the ISSF rule changed that addresses this issue.

Does anyone have any experience with such an effort?

Stan
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

IPshooter wrote:Does anyone have any experience with such an effort?
Seeing as the ISSF are now stopping rifle shooters from using Kinesio and medical taping I think you would have a big problem convincing them.

IMHO a tennis elbow brace does give a competitive advantage, even if only to a sufferer.

It is therefore artificially improving the performance and should remain banned.

I speak as someone whose international shooting career was cut short by lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow).
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

David Levene wrote:[IMHO a tennis elbow brace does give a competitive advantage, even if only to a sufferer.

It is therefore artificially improving the performance and should remain banned.
David,

If it does provide a competitive advantage (and that's a big if), that issue alone should not be used as a basis to ban it. Why not? Because there are multiple things allowed which improve performance: shooting glasses, jackets, boots, shoes, etc.

If the competitive advantage was allowed only to *only TE sufferers*, then I would agree with you. However, the rule change should allow everyone to use it. Then, each individual shooter could try it and decide for themselves whether to use it or not.

IMNSHO, the ISSF should be in the business of encouraging participation. If a simple strap on a pistol shooter's forearm keeps more of them in the sport, then allow it.

Stan
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

There's really no use arguing the point here on the forum because David can't change the rules. You should send your concern to the ISSF as they are the only ones who can change the rules.

I do agree with David in the fact that the likelihood of them allowing such devices is just about zero. They aren't going to allow Beta-blockers for those suffering with hyper-tension either. Unfortunately not everyone is physically able to compete at the elite level of the sport.

The ISSF is basically focused on the elite level of the sport, thats just the plain truth. They are not interested nor concerned with participation nor growing the sport at the grass roots level. They seem to leave that to NGB.

Maybe it's time to have a veteran class that allows braces and medically prescribed drugs. There's nothing stopping anyone from organizing such a thing. It may prove to be popular with the aging of the population.

If you think its unfair think about the runner who wanted to compete in the Olympics that was missing both his legs, he was told he had an unfair advantage, go figure I doubt he feels that nor would those making the decision if you cut off both their legs.
AK Pistol

Post by AK Pistol »

Richard makes some very good points. I would not want to see changes allowed in the J3-S3 classifications myself as right now no extra money needs to be spent on clothing etc. as it does in rifle just to be competitive. Shooting Jackets, Boots, etc. are not allowed in Pistol. That is a good thing.

I would support a class for those with medical issues, as I don't want to see people leave the sport.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I guess the another option would be to expand the disabled shooting events to include heart disease, vision impairment, joint disorders and such.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Don't forget the ISSF really only governs the elite competitions and those that national bodies want to run under ISSF rules. There's no problem with competitions being run to other governing body rules, eg your own national body, state, etc.

Rob.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Are female pistol shooters allowed to wear a sports bra? I think that would add stability to the back [in addition to the front].
AK Pistol

Post by AK Pistol »

Since women and men compete separately I don't think sports bra's are an issue. If a man wore a sports bra, besides looking a bit foolish it would most likely be a violation.

Lets keep artificial supports out of Pistol. It keeps the competition even and lowers the cost.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Freepistol wrote:Are female pistol shooters allowed to wear a sports bra? I think that would add stability to the back [in addition to the front].
Yes and you are allowed to wear underwear too.
Roly

Post by Roly »

Allowing accomodations for those who have medical problems becomes a slippery slope. What if you take a prescription medication for an irregular heartbeat? I believe that beta blockers give a shooter an unfair advantage and are therefore banned. If a heart medication contains a beta blocker and a shooter uses it and coincidentally sets a national record, wouldn't that be subject to claims of it being tainted?
I know my example is extreme, but it isn't absurd. As for myself, I have been shooting in the VT class, but am otherwise physically fit, and would not want to compete against those with an elbow brace, or shoulder, or knee or wrist or any other kind of brace.
I don't want to sound mean spirited, and want the sport to be available to everyone to shoot competetively, but maybe we could do that by having a 'Standing-Handicapped' classification.