BSA 15 question

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

.22-5-40

BSA 15 question

Post by .22-5-40 »

Hello, I am new to this site, but it looks to be an enjoyable and informative one! I posted before on a lever being bent over to right on a BSA 15 for possibility of easier working. I guess I should tell you about the rifle. It was re-stocked by a real master..fancy English walnut in heavy prone style. Extensive checkering patterns both sides, and bottom of forend, as well as pistol grip. Contoured checkered thumb rest R.H. side just forward of P.G. Only 1 swivel..in forend. Lever has been lengthened & re-contoured, 1/2" wide, with a steel cylindrical knob mortised in bottom of lever. Fancy bordered checkering patterns front & back sides, and ends of knob are deeply dished in British fashon. The inletting for lever has been opened up & lever bent over to R.H., almost touching wood. Now here is the kicker...the barrel is a Pope. HM Pope in small neat letters stamper L.H. side. Stamped on brl. under forend #781
April 1933. With all his other markings. I purchased rifle from Gary Quinlan, expert antique arms and Pope collector. He was certain Pope did lever work. At first, I was sure lever was bent after it left Pope..now I am not so sure. The bend has a perfect curve to it..where the lever extension
joins the original, there is a very finely done V joint, silver soldered in place..if it were bent after, I am sure this would have broken. The wider inletting for lever bothered me, I was sure Pope didn't do this..perhaps by having lever over to right, it looked off-centered & funny, & same amount of wood was removed fron L.H. side to even things up?
There are a couple of inovations done by Pope...The rifle has cleaning rod hole in back of action..Pope drilled through block..this hole is perfectly aligned & contoured to match loading trough. Action only has to be opened to allow cleaning!..Also I noted, when prone & action open..you have a clear view right through bore..nice to check if it is clear. The R.H. side of action has been cut-away, exactly as he did on his .22 Winchester High-Wall rifles. A trigger stop has also been installed. The Parker-Hale appa. sight is mounted, & a very early, possibly a prototype Redding front, interch. appa sight is mounted on dovetail mount. Two additional scope mounts are on brl. All In All a very interesting rifle. Has anyone ever seen a BSA Pope before? I can't wait to try it out!