10 meter shooting at shorter distances - benefit ?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

relay1

10 meter shooting at shorter distances - benefit ?

Post by relay1 »

I have a short shooting range that I use to practice 10 meter rifle.
Instead of having 33', I can only get 27' in my garage.

Will practicing on a short range have an adverse affect on my 10 meter competitions?

Charles
Louisville KY
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I don't think so.
Any decent practice is better than NO practice.
Just scale the target, so the target looks the same in your sights. The scoring will be off because the pellet size is still the same, but I think that is OK.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I do it myself all the time. Do it and practice your dry-fire as well.

You are only interested in shooting small groups (sight alignment, trigger squeeze). Work on those.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

Any quality trigger time is great. I second Rover's dry fire comments.
Zoot Shooter

Post by Zoot Shooter »

I always do a little better with scaled short range targets as the TOF (time of flight) is greatly reduced. This in no way overshadows the benefit of shooting though. Aim, hold, and trigger practice can never be bad. As stated above dry firing is a great aid but actual releasing of a shot is much more fun/gratifying :)
JonP

Shorter range practice

Post by JonP »

I only have space for a 6 yard range in my garage and I used to practice with 6 yd air pistol targets (shooting air pistol...), however, I ran out of air pistol targets so tried using my sons 6 yd air rifle targets.

The black is much smaller, however I found that the smaller size compensates almost exactly for the difference in flight time using a sub six hold, I don't need to adjust my sights at all.

It may be a coincidence but my accuracy has improved dramatically since I started doing this, after 4 weeks I have improved from 320 to 366.

Not likely to win any competitions but I am chuffed with the result..

Jon

Post by Guest »

There is a lot of science behind the vision process, the more you learn about it, the more you come to understand the complexities involved.
JonP

Post by JonP »

Anonymous wrote:There is a lot of science behind the vision process, the more you learn about it, the more you come to understand the complexities involved.
OK, that is pretty cryptic, any hints on, say, a URL to something relevant??
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

JonP wrote:
Anonymous wrote:There is a lot of science behind the vision process, the more you learn about it, the more you come to understand the complexities involved.
OK, that is pretty cryptic, any hints on, say, a URL to something relevant??
It's easy to imply knowledge and understanding, much harder to show it.

A cynic.
robf

Post by robf »

I found shooting 6yd gave a different slant on things, and found benefits in training for that reason. But I think a coach should be employed to make sure your training goals are specific, else I think it's possible to induce bad habits which 10m may reveal with less glory. Given a proper set of goals, 6yd can be most valuable.

Post by Guest »

the eye is an organ, it grows and ages along with your body.

Common Sense questions about vision and shooting

Front sights - which part of the front sight you focus on; what size should they be; which aiming is best for you

Rear sight - how wide should the gaps be for a specific distance to the target, to amount of ambient light; which shape best helps your brain with aiming

Sight Radius: what is your optimum in relation to your harm size

Vision: what is your best range of corrective lenses; what is the best prescription in your mid range; what light reading at the target works best for your eyes; what tools can you use to keep it constant in different ranges; when should you use filters and why; do you have any congenital eye malformation, many people do; how long before a match do you need to set your eyes to current target lighting; how much ambient light is present and what effect does it have on your iris; why you should occlude vision but not light from your non seeing eye; what exercises do you use to teach your brain to revert the process by which two 2d images from the retina of your eyes are processed in the brain into a 3d view of the world, and then reverted to a single 2d view along your natural point of aim;

Do you area aim, I call it the Ten Step Dance, the idea for the word dance is the conscious attempt to avoid hard angles on your wobble

Do you shoot for a ten, or do you let the ten see you

It takes humans in general three weeks to learn a new skill, and some type of constant practice to maintain proficiency, the trick is to learn the right things, because your brain can't unlearn.

Post by Guest »

JonP

Post by JonP »

Anonymous wrote:http://webvision.med.utah.edu/

Or in a distilled version for the shooting market

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html
Interesting, thank you.

mind you, based on your previous post I must be beyond redemption having learned what are undoubtedly various bad habits.....

Post by Guest »

Only you can tell.

Post by Guest »