Is it legal to have a grip like this?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
bijupaul

Is it legal to have a grip like this?

Post by bijupaul »

Hello all,

I'm posting this out of confusion and curiosity, Can we have a palm shelf extending this much? I had a 'L' grip and I was forced to grind off the extended length of it's palm shelf as advised by some senior shooters it may lead to a disqualification, but in fact it was not this high on my wrist.

Biju
Attachments
Palmshelf
Palmshelf
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

fairly obviously this is not the grip for the shooter: it is for someone with a much bigger hand.
for the shooter in the photograph - no
for a shooter with a bigger hand - maybe

and your point of posting this photo is?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

It is difficult to criticize from just a photograph, however the first part of ISSF rule 8.4.1.1.1:-
"Neither the grip nor any part of the pistol may be extended or constructed in any way that would allow it to touch beyond the hand."
bijupaul

Post by bijupaul »

Spencer wrote:
and your point of posting this photo is?
I thought I've cleared my point of posting this photo on my first post, I had my palm shelf extended back but not this high, even though I've asked to cut it off up to my palm or below the joint of wrist, otherwise it will be illegal and will get disqualified on competition but this photo says to me its not like that, all I wanted was your opinion,
Biju
Attachments
Mypalmshelf.jpg
Mypalmshelf.jpg (26.33 KiB) Viewed 5581 times
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

So yes-as the shooter's wrist is being supported, it's unfair and unsportsmanlike to use the grip as shown.
JamesH

Re: Is it legal to have a grip like this?

Post by JamesH »

bijupaul wrote:Hello all,

I'm posting this out of confusion and curiosity, Can we have a palm shelf extending this much? I had a 'L' grip and I was forced to grind off the extended length of it's palm shelf as advised by some senior shooters it may lead to a disqualification, but in fact it was not this high on my wrist.

Biju
It breaks the rules, but you see plenty of shooters using grips like that.
Its obviously never been picked up, just look at the number of stickers!
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

It is hard to tell from the first picture.

Her wrist crease lines are to faint to see. They might be right in line with the palm rest cut off.

As for the second picture, that would fine. Your crease lines are in line with the palm rest cut off.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

seamaster wrote:
As for the second picture, that would fine. Your crease lines are in line with the palm rest cut off.
Agreed, it 'looks' legal to me.

Rob.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I'd say first illegal, second legal.
superstring

Post by superstring »

Regardless of being legal or not, the first pic looks damned uncomfortable! It looks like you'd have to work at keeping your wrist at a certain angle otherwise the palm rest would be digging into your wrist/arm. Am I mistaken?
Guest 5

Post by Guest 5 »

I agree it looks like it would become an irritant after awhile but the skeletal advantage would be an aid to such a degree as to off set the discomfort....well to me anyways. IMHO it appears to be illegal and then some.
David M

Post by David M »

This is an old problem because there is no real definition of what is a wrist, where it starts or ends. One way to see if there is any wrist support is to ask the shooter with the pistol fitted to their hand in shooting position to tilt the pistol both up and down in the vertical plane and see if free movement is allowed.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

David M wrote:This is an old problem because there is no real definition of what is a wrist, where it starts or ends. One way to see if there is any wrist support is to ask the shooter with the pistol fitted to their hand in shooting position to tilt the pistol both up and down in the vertical plane and see if free movement is allowed.
If equipment control staff really want to see they can draw a line down the wrist joint, although that's equally marked with the creases in our skin. I think if you look up wrist in medical dictionary it's pretty well defined.

Rob.
Makris D. G.

Post by Makris D. G. »

The first pic, must not be the owner of the pistol.
The grip is poorly fitted and too large, look at the gap above the hand.
bijupaul

Post by bijupaul »

David Levene wrote:It is difficult to criticize from just a photograph."
May be David is right, She is among the Top 5 Air Pistol shooters in world, She won more than 14 Medals including including 8 world cup golds and one Olympic gold medal, what i've found she was using this pistol on most of the time and I can not believe she was violating the rule without noticing a single time, thats impossible.
miacdc

Post by miacdc »

That is a standard Steyr grip that she is using.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

standar does not means always legal. for the grips. assume a shooter with an xtra small hand trying to shoot a pistol fitted with a xlarge grip. the grip itself is legal but it is almost certain it will touch the shooters hand beyond the wrist making it illegal. what i find most intersting is that the grips of most of the shooters in issf finals (just go and see the pictures in issf site) really seem to touch the wrist. perhaps it is the angle that these pictures were taken but still it is interesting.
Doral

Post by Doral »

That is the hand of beautiful Olena?

I am sure it is the notorious picture angle.
bijupaul

Post by bijupaul »

Doral wrote:That is the hand of beautiful Olena?

I am sure it is the notorious picture angle.
Its a different match but you may have a look at 1.46 if you wanna see the same pistol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQf0HVZPbn8

B
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

The grip is poorly fitted and too large, look at the gap above the hand.
What does the gap above the hand matter?