Why US Citisens are armed

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

2650 Plus

Why US Citisens are armed

Post by 2650 Plus »

Mr Smith was driving down one of our Texas roads when he was stopped by a police officer. As the officer approached his pickup truck , Mr Smith handed him his drivers licence, His car title, His insurance papers and his concealed carry permit. The officer asked if Mr Smith was armed. Mr Smith said yes, I have mt revolver in my shoulder holster, My derringer is in my boot, My 9mm is in the map compartment and my AR15 is behind my seat. The Officer asked " What are you afraid of" Mr Smith answered " NOTHING" Have a good day, Good Shooting Bill Horton
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

:-)
sakoarms

Post by sakoarms »

Loved it!
Oz

Post by Oz »

Nice!
gn303

Why US Citizens are armed

Post by gn303 »

Apart from the good joke, I’ve always felt save in the USA.
I’m fond of the west (apologies to the east). I’ve noticed that some people carried concealed guns (after 38 years in law enforcement one gets an eye for that). And I guess they had a permit. When you see someone carrying a hidden gun in Europe he/she is either a policeman or a crook. Better be lucky!
Guy
Bowman26

Re: Why US Citizens are armed

Post by Bowman26 »

gn303 wrote:Apart from the good joke, I’ve always felt save in the USA.
I’m fond of the west (apologies to the east). I’ve noticed that some people carried concealed guns (after 38 years in law enforcement one gets an eye for that). And I guess they had a permit. When you see someone carrying a hidden gun in Europe he/she is either a policeman or a crook. Better be lucky!
Guy
What about when you see someone carrying a gun openly in a holster on their belt? Down here in Louisiana we are legal to open carry anything we want without any permits or special permission.
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

This fall I had a nice NC State Trooper pull me over for good cause. As I was taught, I immediately said I was carrying. He was a little surprised - I had a Jeep full of college move-in stuff for my daughter. He asked for my pistol while he ran my license. I gingerly handed it to him the way he asked me to do it - and then he says, "Cool! A Kimber!". Of course I had to blurt out that I had won it at a Friends of the NRA dinner, and how the money goes mostly to youth shooting programs. 5 minutes later he hands me back the Kimber with a warning ticket! It took about an hour to quit shaking...while I drove considerably slower.
gn303

Why US Citizens are armed

Post by gn303 »

@ Bowman26:
Lucky you.
Over here it is either is a policeman or an ongoing robbery! :-)

Guy
Packard

Post by Packard »

Bowman26 wrote:
gn303 wrote:Apart from the good joke, I’ve always felt save in the USA.
Guy
What about when you see someone carrying a gun openly in a holster on their belt? Down here in Louisiana we are legal to open carry anything we want without any permits or special permission.
I recall driving in Kentucky (I never felt safe in Kentucky) and there was a 11 or 12 year old kid walking alongside the road leading into town and he was carrying a rifle on his shoulder. It did not look like a .22; it looked like a big bore gun. I'm from Long Island, NY and it make me very uncomfortable.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

He was probably out hunting.

Until the 70's in Toronto (now the home of liberal gun banning) people use to get on the bus and take it to the outskirts of the city with their rifle and go hunting. When I was in Europe there were kids walking round with target rifles. The fear of the object (a gun) is totally irrational.

If the kid was walking down the road with a shovel on his shoulder would you have been scared? Yet he could have beat your brains in with it.

I've been afraid of some people but it usually has to do with how they act and present themselves, not solely on what they were carrying.

Post by Guest »

Richard H wrote:He was probably out hunting.

Until the 70's in Toronto (now the home of liberal gun banning) people use to get on the bus and take it to the outskirts of the city with their rifle and go hunting. When I was in Europe there were kids walking round with target rifles. The fear of the object (a gun) is totally irrational.

If the kid was walking down the road with a shovel on his shoulder would you have been scared? Yet he could have beat your brains in with it.

I've been afraid of some people but it usually has to do with how they act and present themselves, not solely on what they were carrying.
The reason I never felt safe in Kentucky had to do with an earlier incident.

I've been a weight lifter for all of my adult life (starting at 15 years of age). I'm still in good shape, but at that time I had a 30" waist, 44" chest and 19" arms and when I was in Mexico all the little kids would yell out "Rocky Balboa, Rocky Balboa!"

So I was in a restaurant in a very small town wearing a golf shirt--not excessively tight but everything fit tight back then. After dinner I walked into the bar to get a beer. The bar was filled with tobacco workers. One of the bigger of those in the bar said (very loud), "I always wanted to see how tough those body builders really are..." (I paid my bill and left right away. I was not that interested in seeing how tough a tobacco leaf picker was.

It set the mood for me and my visit to Kentucky.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Long Island is one of the few places in the U.S. where the high schools have shooting programs (at least that was what I was told a few years ago).
But don't be afraid, I'm sure they are only shooting .22 or air rifle.

Post by Guest »

gn303 wrote: I’ve noticed that some people carried concealed guns (after 38 years in law enforcement one gets an eye for that). And I guess they had a permit. Guy
If you can see a "hidden gun" - it's not hidden. In my home state, an individual licensed to carry a concealed fiream who does so in such a manner as to not conceal it - usually ends up losing the privilege. And rightly so.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Anonymous wrote: The reason I never felt safe in Kentucky had to do with an earlier incident.

I've been a weight lifter for all of my adult life (starting at 15 years of age). I'm still in good shape, but at that time I had a 30" waist, 44" chest and 19" arms and when I was in Mexico all the little kids would yell out "Rocky Balboa, Rocky Balboa!"

So I was in a restaurant in a very small town wearing a golf shirt--not excessively tight but everything fit tight back then. After dinner I walked into the bar to get a beer. The bar was filled with tobacco workers. One of the bigger of those in the bar said (very loud), "I always wanted to see how tough those body builders really are..." (I paid my bill and left right away. I was not that interested in seeing how tough a tobacco leaf picker was.

It set the mood for me and my visit to Kentucky.
Sounds like discretion was definitely the better of valour. Your Deliverance moment.
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

Richard H wrote:He was probably out hunting.

Yeah, I was talking to an old boy who (at 15) used to cycle through town to the range with a .303 slung over his back. The O/C of his cadet unit kept the rifles in his garden shed and just asked the lads to knock on the door and let him know if they were taking a gun and when they'd be back.

How times change.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Richard H wrote:Your Deliverance moment.
I pulled a quote like that on one of my younger engineers a few weeks ago ... had no clue what I was talking about.

For you young ones, google "Reynolds Deliverance"
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Yes anyone who hasn't seen Deliverance, you must see it. It's a classic.
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

[quote="Richard H"]He was probably out hunting.

Until the 70's in Toronto (now the home of liberal gun banning) people use to get on the bus and take it to the outskirts of the city with their rifle and go hunting. quote]

Richard does this mean they also dragged their kills on the bus going home? :) Pardon me miss I need a place to seat my whitetail lol.

And yes Deliverance will get you in the mood to go hog hunting with a bow ;)
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

[quote="Bowman26"][quote="Richard H"]He was probably out hunting.

Until the 70's in Toronto (now the home of liberal gun banning) people use to get on the bus and take it to the outskirts of the city with their rifle and go hunting. quote]

Richard does this mean they also dragged their kills on the bus going home? :) Pardon me miss I need a place to seat my whitetail lol.

Well even an Ontario whitetail would be rather large to do this with, not like those tiny things they grow in Texas and sling over their shoulder.

Used to have rifle shooters coming to the club in Calgary until the late 70s on buses and bicycles - even now we have one shooter who arrives on a motorcycle with gun case slung across his back (not this week - minus 20C is a bit much even for him).
Cheers -- Dr J
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I think they were hunting smaller game. Or maybe they were just going out to find guys that looked like Ned Beatty.