how far to move back 10M into "free pistol" target

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Doral

how far to move back 10M into "free pistol" target

Post by Doral »

free pistol target is smaller than the 10M AP target.

How far back do I have to move my 10M target to make it look like the size of free pistol target?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Put it at 50 feet. K
computer

Post by computer »

50/200*59.5 = 14.875 metres :48.8 feet (for the deprived)
guest2

moving back AP target

Post by guest2 »

Does that increased distance bring all the rings to the proper size/distance ratio?
computer

Re: moving back AP target

Post by computer »

guest2 wrote:Does that increased distance bring all the rings to the proper size/distance ratio?
Why would this be a consideration for training? Surely good shot/bad shot is the only thing to worry about.
RobStubbs

Re: moving back AP target

Post by RobStubbs »

guest2 wrote:Does that increased distance bring all the rings to the proper size/distance ratio?
I'm pretty sure it doesn't, it's just to make the black look the same size.

Rob.
jmpcmd@telus.net

Post by jmpcmd@telus.net »

Why not scale down a 20yd FP target to 10m distance? The scoring rings will then be to scale.
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

As someone else noted, the proper distance for the same visual image (black) is 48.8 feet. If you put the 10m AP target at 50 feet, the 10 ring will be a little more difficult than usual (a whopping 0.035mm smaller than proper scale), while the remaining rings get progressively more forgiving (9 ring 0.58mm (0.02") too big, 1 ring 5.5mm (0.2") too big). The discrepancy varies across the scoring rings due to the different calibers for AP versus FP.

Quite honestly, put the AP target at 50' and the difference isn't really worth noting. The black will be 0.07" too small, and the difference in scoring rings won't have a material effect until you get out to the 6 or 5 ring).

I've got a mountain of US-made AP targets which really aren't suitable for AP, so they've found a new use as scaled down FP targets for winter use. The B40/4 (4 bull per sheet) is especially handy.
RB6

Post by RB6 »

What target would work for 60 ft ?