Replacement seals for FWB 601

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

benzy2

Replacement seals for FWB 601

Post by benzy2 »

Hello, I recently purchased a used FWB 601 and am having a blast. I will say other than a few early groups that got me excited, I just haven't quite had the accuracy I have been hoping for. I haven't had the chance to test over a chronograph but I have found it seems velocity is all over the place. It seems to be directly related to the time from the cocking of rifle. Tonight I decided to experiment with shot timing from a rest. It seemed that if I shot sooner from the pump time and at the same time from the pump I would get good accuracy. If timing changed and the further from the pump it got, the worse and lower groups were on the target. I'm talking shooting anywhere from 15 to 120 seconds from the time of the pump. It appears that the seals on the rifle need replaced. No biggy, just wondering where you can get replacements in the US and also if they are a standard size that are easy to come by. I have quite and assortment of orings from different projects in the past so if anyone knows the oring sizes please let me know.
justadude

Post by justadude »

benzy,

Fortunately FWB offers good support, even for their older airguns.

Try Neal Stepp at International Shooters Service, (817) 595-2090, or Chuck Gartland at Gartland Precision. (google that one for contact info) Last I heard Chuck was away until the 13th so Neal is your first try right now.

If the main piston seal is going bad it makes perfect sense that the longer you wait the slower the muzzle velocity and poorer the accuracy. When you stroke the cocking lever you compress the air from a pretty big cylinder down into almost nothing for space. The air is supposed to be held there until a sliding hammer knocks the release valve off the seat. The compressed air then follows almost a U-turn path to the barrel where it pushes the pellet. If that piston gets leaky the pressure goes down between cocking/charging and firing, not only will velocity change the behavior of the release valve will change so everything will get screwy.

Some of the seals in a 601 are o-rings and others a little more specialized. You are best off getting the factory authorized parts.

'Dude
benzy2

Post by benzy2 »

Thanks for the sources. Neal Stepp took care of me, getting me everything I had in mind. What a great guy. I'm really glad I talked to him. Sounds like everything should be more than squared away now.
justadude

Post by justadude »

Glad it worked out.

'Dude