Ear protection - what is everyone using? (22 SB Rifle)

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Leo

Ear protection - what is everyone using? (22 SB Rifle)

Post by Leo »

Folks, I have over the ear muffs - both normal and noise reduction types but they are a pain when shooting with my cap and glasses... I've noticed some of the shooters are using custom ear plugs... similar to "Perfect-Fit™ Custom-Fit Maximum Noise Reduction Ear Plugs"... $130 but they would work for my situation.

Only SB rifle applications (CF requires muffs) - what do you use? why do you like them? and where did you obtain them?

Thanks for the help.
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

Just standard British Army surplus defenders.

Find they're not an issue for SB but can get in the way for shotgun/clay pigeon, so I'm looking at getting moulded in-ear ones (never got on with the foamy ones, gah!)
Greg

Post by Greg »

I had a set of plugs made at a gun show for $45. They are not the kind that automatically shut down when a loud sound occurs. But, they are wonderful. They block noise better than anything else for me, are comfortable for hours on end, don't get in the way, are easy to install and remove, are not hot in the summer, allow me to wear a hat comfortably. I could go on and on. And I use them for so much more, since they are so convenient and comfortable, such as power tools, etc. Best of all they work! Best $45 I ever spent. BTW, I tried the ones you can buy and mold youself. They were lousy. I suggest you get it done by a person experienced in the procedure. Don't mess with your hearing.
gkn
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

Yes, and they're usually more effective as well I gather. I think the ranking is loosely:

QUIETER
Moulded earplugs
Ear muffs
Foamy plugs
LOUDER

Although it depends on the muffs as some are better than others.

Our piano tuner also happens to have the contract to maintain the pianos in the Birmingham Symphony Hall. Getting there by car just isn't practical unless he wants to take all day over it, so he got himself a motorbike.

First time he rode in he had to sit in a quiet room for two hours for his hearing to come back before he could tune reliably.
Next time he got himself some foam plugs, which were a vast improvement. He could tune after 30minutes. Still fed up however, he went to a bike show and got properly moulded plugs and he can now park the bike, walk in and tune immediately.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I use plugs, I have custom plugs (approx. $50), I've used disposable plugs and muffs. On occasion I've worn both plugs and muffs depends what I'm doing and where I'm shooting.

As for plugs I really don't see a difference (sound level wise) between my custom plugs and disposables (that are put in properly). I'd be hard pressed to pay $130 for plugs. The customs are a tad more comfortable. The key to look at is the NRR the bigger the number the better. Many of the expensive custom plugs have actual lower NRR's as they actual put filters in, they really are meant for people like musicians.

Foam Plugs run in the high 20's to low 30's, plastic reusables are in the 20's, customs range from as low as 9 to the mid 30's and muffs are also in the mid 20's to mid 30's.

So basically choose on comfort. This is one of those areas where more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better ( in the sense of Noise Reduction).
Brian Carstensen

Post by Brian Carstensen »

Silicone ear plugs, you can get them from walmart or any drug store and they mold into your ear like the custom ones. I can't tell you the brand but if you go to the section where walmart has ear plugs you'll find them in the pharmacy section. They are translucent and are very comfortable.
bruce

Post by bruce »

I've used muffs or foam plugs in the past, but for about eight years I've used custom plugs. I've only ever used solid plugs. No filters or options that add to the cost.
My current set were made by an audiologist who is a regular visitor to Bisley during the UK national meetings.
Your ear canal is likely to change shape over time, so budget to get a new set every 4-6 years.

At about £10/year, money well spent.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I use in ear plugs for all events, including CF indoors. I have a couple of pairs that were custom molded but the foam twist in ones work pretty good as well - just bin them before they start going a bit solid.

Rob.
jipe

Post by jipe »

I use custom silicon earplugs. The main advantage compared tu muffs and standard earplugs is that they are very confortable (much more than muffs and standard plugs) and easy to insert and always perfectly placed, actually you can't put them in a wrong way what is not the case with standard plugs.
doughert@ptd.net

Ear plugs

Post by doughert@ptd.net »

I suggest the EAR push in plugs ( 318-1001). They are available with or without the cord. They give good noise attenuation and are great if you need to take them on and off between relays or to talk to a guest.

Here is the URL http://www.e-a-r.com/e-a-r.com/pushin_d ... 18-1001001

Shop around - prices vary a lot.

I've tried two sets of custom plugs - one from a guy at the OTC in the 90s and one last year at a gun show. Both seem to loosen a little when I wear them...

Post by Guest »

I also use the dense foam ones, like Elvex blue, with a higher NRR. Custom silicone just doesn't stay put in my ears. In prone, I am able to "jaw" them loose - ie move my jaw around whilst clamping down on the cheekpiece and pop the plugs loose. After two pairs and re-fitting, I went back to the foam plugs. Also easier to throw away a pair of dirty plugs versus cleaning the molded ones. Ewww.
westerngriz

Post by westerngriz »

I use custom molded ones. I got them made while I was at Perry two years ago. They are very comfortable. But I personally think that the orange foam ones give better sound protection when they are used correctly.
My teammates also use custom plugs. One guy uses a custom plug in his left ear and one of the soft rubber/plastic ones in his right.
Matt
2650 Plus

Ear protection

Post by 2650 Plus »

I don't mean to sound strange but my solution was to use 38 caliber brass placed in base first. I suppose I have 38 caliber holes in my head, but my recomendation is to try different methods until you find something that works and then stay with the good ones. That should keep you from saying huh a lot Good Shooting Bill Horton
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

westerngriz wrote: But I personally think that the orange foam ones give better sound protection when they are used correctly.
Matt
Agree with Matt on the Orange plugs, not only for the range, but for the OTC dorms when you happen to have a snoring roommate or kids in the next room who desire to stay up all night .... more comfy than the custom when a pillow is under your head.

I also bring an extra set or two for my roommates......................

Post by Guest »

I am weary of the custom earplugs as I have "heard" of people getting ear infections with them (but I guess if you remember to clean them...).

When I'm shooting pistols, I use earmuffs- got some electronic ones that work as long as I change the batteries often enough.

When I'm shooting smallbore, I use the blue flanged ones on the red string that were sold at Walmart for about $2, I think they were Winchester. They work great for blocking out the people talking behind me while I'm shooting. :-) I reuse them for awhile, and clean them, and toss them at the first sign that the flanges might break off.

When I'm shooting my scoped AR-15, I cannot get my head over the stock with earmuffs, so I bought a case of Peltor Next Nitro earplugs (32 db). They work amazingly better than any of the earmuffs I have. The only "problem" is that I can only hear people talking if they are directly in front of me, and, you have to learn how to insert them properly by rolling and squishing to get them all the way into your ear.

-Abi
Rover

Post by Rover »

Actually, by test, the cheap foam plugs you roll up and stuff in your ears are the best. Really!

I use them when I am testing ammo or when I shoot a rifle under cover. I still use the earmuffs when shooting pistol because they're easy to remove when scoring.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Anonymous wrote:I am weary of the custom earplugs as I have "heard" of people getting ear infections with them (but I guess if you remember to clean them...).

<snip>
-Abi
I've never cleaned mine and never had an ear infection, and to be honest I don't know of anyone else who has. As you say clean them regularly if you're concerned or prone to ear infections.

Rob.
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

Richard H wrote:The customs are a tad more comfortable. The key to look at is the NRR the bigger the number the better. Many of the expensive custom plugs have actual lower NRR's as they actual put filters in, they really are meant for people like musicians.
I think that's a little unfair. There are a whole variety of filters, which is why you would buy the solids or ones with filters designed for shooting, not the filters optimised for musicians.

Filters aren't a bad thing. Indeed if you're rough shooting with others, they're very useful for talking to each other.

You just have to buy the right ones that filter the right frequencies. If you buy plugs for shooting and specify musician's filters, then more fool you. It's like turning up to the Olympics with a .308. It's a rifle, but it's still the wrong tool for the job!

That said, if your preference is the foamy ones or flanged rubber things, then fair enough. But some people really don't get on with them (as others don't get on with silicon ones).
RobinC

Re: Ear protection

Post by RobinC »

2650 Plus wrote:I don't mean to sound strange but my solution was to use 38 caliber brass placed in base first. I suppose I have 38 caliber holes in my head, but my recomendation is to try different methods until you find something that works and then stay with the good ones. That should keep you from saying huh a lot Good Shooting Bill Horton
Bill that is brilliant, I can just visulise it!
Less extrovert I use plugs, have tried many for shooting and bikes, the best are Silencio Red-E-Fit model RFP-96 bought from Walmart on my last visit across the pond. I'm down to my last pack, don't know if they are available in the UK.
Good shooting
Robin
randy1952

Post by randy1952 »

jhmartin wrote:
westerngriz wrote: But I personally think that the orange foam ones give better sound protection when they are used correctly.
Matt
Agree with Matt on the Orange plugs, not only for the range, but for the OTC dorms when you happen to have a snoring roommate or kids in the next room who desire to stay up all night .... more comfy than the custom when a pillow is under your head.

I also bring an extra set or two for my roommates......................
They work good unless you got a roommate that snores so loud that he is not only keeping everybody in the room awake, but in the room next door. I would usually leave the door ajar and go down to the end of the hallway to go out jogging because I usually would give up trying to sleep and you could still hear him at the other end of the hallway. I had the earplugs in addition to a pillow over my head with no success. The guy is probably one of the nicest persons you could meet, but I just had to go the next five with only about three hours of sleep.