ISSF- any events use 45?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Brian James

ISSF- any events use 45?

Post by Brian James »

I was on the ISSF website, specifically the ISSF shop at under the gauges section I noticed they sell a scoring guage for paper targets that includes .44 and .45.

I'm trying to think of an event that would use that calibre. Can anyone come up with anything?

I'll have come up with is black powder shooting.

Brian
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

No ISSF events use .44 or .45

Maximum pistol calibre is 9.65mm (.38")

Maximum rifle calibre (300m) is 8mm

Black powder shooting is not ISSF
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Besides, all black powder competition under MLAIC rules (and just about everything else in the BP world) is scored to center of impact.
renzo

Post by renzo »

All of the abovesaid is true, but it is also true that obviously scoring gauges manufacturers DO care about their business in the USA!!!

I bought a full set from Gehmann's for use in the matches at the shooting club I preside, and it had the .45 caliber, with and w/o magnifier.

I am from Argentina, and we shoot a great deal of .45 in the "Military Pistol" course, so I had this in mind when buying. Probably Gehmann had, too, when making it.

Post by Guest »

As David said, no .45's. However, can anyone, AND I MEAN ANYONE out there explain what Kimber Co. is and has been prattling on about with their current advertising campaign for their Gold Match .45? They claim:

"When the USA Shooting Rapid Fire Pistol Team gets ready for the 2008 Olympics, they go out onto the action shooting circuit. The gun they use is a modified Kimber Gold Match .45."

What Olympic hopeful goes out on the "action shooting circuit" to prepare for any ISSF event??

This company builds crap and sells it with this kind of BS advertising. I have to believe that only Americans would be foolish enough to believe this tripe.
top end

Post by top end »

Bit harsh on Americans - go easy mate.
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

Note to "Guest"

Pretty strong language for a guy too cowardly to post his name and/or country.

Now to answer your question, although I'm not so sure you are really looking for an answer.

Kimber has long supported USA Shooting by selling guns with the USA Shooting logo on them and donating a part of the proceeds. And, as I recall, several years ago, a bunch of rapid fire pistol shooters did in fact go out and hose down some targets with Kimber 45's. And had fun doing it.

If you have any other hateful stuff to post, why not find another place to do it. Thanks.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Marc Orvin wrote:Note to "Guest"

Pretty strong language for a guy too cowardly to post his name and/or country.

Now to answer your question, although I'm not so sure you are really looking for an answer.

Kimber has long supported USA Shooting by selling guns with the USA Shooting logo on them and donating a part of the proceeds. And, as I recall, several years ago, a bunch of rapid fire pistol shooters did in fact go out and hose down some targets with Kimber 45's. And had fun doing it.

If you have any other hateful stuff to post, why not find another place to do it. Thanks.
Kimber has donated over $750,000 to USAS over the past 8 or so years. They certainly put their money where their mouth is.

Jason Turner, Cody Maxwell, Melissa McConnell and I shot Kimbers in the Steel Challenge and Bianchi Cup in 2003. They make a great product and their support of the US Shooting Team has been most gracious.
David M

Post by David M »

In Australia we have some home grown blackpowder match's based around the sport/centre fire match (Blackpowder 25, 20 shots precision/ 20 shots rapidfire) and Free pistol (Blackpowder 50, 40 shots slow fire). Scored as per ISSF on the line.
As well some states shoot the MLAIC matches. Scored with half ball over the line.
Sadly, we can no longer shoot .45 auto.