Electronic target systems: Megalink vs Haering

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

guidolastra

Post by guidolastra »

Hi all. Happy Thanks giving Day to everyone !
I will be getting an electronic target system shortly, and I am debating which one is the most cost-effective. Sius is of course out of my reach (>5000 USD), but Megalink and Haering appear to be the best choices: they can be used for both 10 and 50 meters shooting and apparently they are easy to set up. I wonder if anyone has had any experience with the Haering System, I cannot find references anywhere but in their website...I know they are not ISSF approved yet.
Thanks for your input.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I set up 2 Haering ESA 10m systems about 10 years ago with no problem. As far as I know they are still working fine.

My only complaint was that the company logo, being quite prominent and above the target, was a distraction for pistol shooters lowering their sights on to the target. I cannot remember whether it was a transfer or painted, but I'm sure would not be difficult to overcome.

The touch screen computers were great to use.

I hope this helps.
guidolastra

Post by guidolastra »

Hi, thanks for the answer, David. I see you do have experience with this.
If I may ask a couple questions:
1. how easy is it to switch the set up from 10 to 50 meters ?
2. why do you think the ISSF has not "approved" the system ?
3. How easy is it to find supplies for the system (paper, etc...) ? (I live in the US)

Thanks again
erikkanderson

Post by erikkanderson »

There can be lots of reasons why the ISSF has not approved Haering yet. The most likely being Haering has simply not submitted an application to the ISSF for approval.

The approval process is not easy, can take a number of years, and be very expensive. Their manages may have decided it is not worth the effort yet.
Doug Blessin

Re: Electronic target systems: Megalink vs Haering

Post by Doug Blessin »

guidolastra wrote:Hi all. Happy Thanks giving Day to everyone !
I will be getting an electronic target system shortly, and I am debating which one is the most cost-effective. Sius is of course out of my reach (>5000 USD), but Megalink and Haering appear to be the best choices: they can be used for both 10 and 50 meters shooting and apparently they are easy to set up. I wonder if anyone has had any experience with the Haering System, I cannot find references anywhere but in their website...I know they are not ISSF approved yet.
Thanks for your input.
Our club has 3 Megalinks and they work great. The only time we have problems is when we forget to plug something in.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

As has been said, the approval process can be a very long drawn-out deal.

The units I set up were 10m. You certainly can't use the 10m target boxes at 50m. Not sure about vice versa.

As you will see, I am in England. I'm afraid I have no idea what supplies are like un the US.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

most companies say that the 10m units can also be used for 50m rifle. but not for 50m pistol.
Brian Carstensen

Post by Brian Carstensen »

guidolastra wrote:Hi, thanks for the answer, David. I see you do have experience with this.
If I may ask a couple questions:
1. how easy is it to switch the set up from 10 to 50 meters ?
2. why do you think the ISSF has not "approved" the system ?
3. How easy is it to find supplies for the system (paper, etc...) ? (I live in the US)

Thanks again
You wont be able to use the same air unit for 50m smallbore, you may want to think about 50ft smallbore because that you can use for both guns. The only thing you need will be two sets of faceplates.

I hate to say it but I think it hasnt been approved because it is very political. There are big contracts for target companies and suis does not want to lose theirs. I think at the issf final the champions cup or whatever it is suis gives a large amount of prize money to the winner.

Supplies are fairly easy to get. My coach just ordered 100 paper rolls for 1100 if you order less then that they cost 16 bucks a roll. Faceplates are something like 25-50 cents a piece so that isnt too bad.
Parts take a little longer because sometimes the parts have to come from
Megalink for example the changer for the battery at our range went out (you need a battery to smooth out the power supply) we are hoping the charger comes in before next semester. But for the most part they are pretty easy. And the less you get the easier it gets.
guidolastra

Post by guidolastra »

Thanks to everyone, I have been debating for some time between getting a megalink or a haering system. It would seem the price is very similar, at least according to the info I have been getting in this thread. I would lean towards megalink because they do have representation in the US, unless there is a significant price gap.
Thanks again
ShotResponse

Post by ShotResponse »

If you would like to consider the Sius option, ShotResponse is a stocking dealer in the US and would love to quote your system needs. View our website at www.shotresponse.com for more information. Laserscore is now available as well as our Practice version utilizing your laptop.
randy1952

Post by randy1952 »

guidolastra wrote:Hi all. Happy Thanks giving Day to everyone !
Thanks for your input.
Is this system for collegiate use at NCAA matches and is it important that it be ISSF approved? We are looking at the Meyton system currently for use at NCAA matches and they have to be USAS approved for use at NCAA matches since they are going by USAS rules. Gold Medal Shooting is the distributor for the system in this country. The system is more expensive then a Megalink, but has many pluses. For one there is no need for paper or rubber rolls. Targets can be programmed by the user and not necessarily depend on the target system company. The computer program does seem to be more flexible and easier to use then most other systems. The system can be diagnosed by the company over the internet. The airgun and smallbore targets have their own bullet traps, which can save on the type of steel going into a new range. The system has been existence in Germany for many years and has a proven track record. The system along with other existing systems is going through the approval process and is currently under going approval for NCAA approval.
ShotResponse

Sius Target Systems

Post by ShotResponse »

The Sius systems that we sell are the updated versions of what is used at Ft. Benning for the NRA Intercollegiate Championships and World Cup Competitions. It is also the same system that was used in 2008 in Beijing.

Bottom line is this. I love to shoot with my kids at home. We have worked with Sius to design a premiere "Practice" or "Home" version that costs less than the "Olympic" version since we are using our own laptop for control and monitoring.

I am not an expert in this area, however, I have provided a system to a expert collegiate coach who is testing it for me to let me know his opionion. I will say, that he is very excited about being able to use it at home and carry with him for practice.

If you are interested in getting the price more affordable, I need to hear from you. The larger quantities I can order at a time saves you money in both bulk pricing and in freight from Switzerland.

I will add, that we have just placed our first order for large range that will utilize the Laserscore target system. A press release will be forthcoming as soon as we can get it written.

I know for me, shooting with my kids and their friends at my home is very rewarding. Because it is electronic, they are able to shoot and score like a video game. The benefit is that we are spending time together while they are becoming better marksmen and having fun. I just need to buy pellets in bulk quantities.