Visualization Difficulties?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

westerngriz

Visualization Difficulties?

Post by westerngriz »

I seem to have difficulties with mental imagery(visualization). Things just seem to be fuzzy and unclear.
Anybody else seem to have this barrier? Any solutions people have found?
Just open for suggestions.

I havent talked to my coach yet about it but I will this weekend.
Matt
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Well it is a skill and it will take different people different amounts of time to attain the skill.

Start with simple visualizations, then add detail as you get better.

Try to have a setting that is conducive to visualization, quiet, comfortable.

Start off trying to visualize just the target then grow the visualization from there, add more detail, sights, sounds, smells.

Some people like it to be quiet some like relaxing music.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

As Richard says, visualisation takes time and practice. Some people can never get it to click and I struggle to get it to be realistic. As you describe it's fuzzy and a bit distant. If you try and visualise the most important bits first and then add in detail and in a proper time sequence. So I would advise visualising the sight picture first and then build it up. It may help you if you write down your work cycle in detail, and then work on cue words, until you can visualise it all.

Rob.
robf

Post by robf »

i think the aspect that trips some up is thinking that visualisation is about the visual image in your head. Not everyone thinks in visual terms easily.

instead, try thinking about the other senses, think of what you are trying to visualise in those fields... smell is a good one, being aware of your state of relaxation, sounds etc... once you have a trigger, the rest can often follow. It helps if you can visit the place and set the old mental tape recorder going on the strongest sensation, lap it up, then use that as playback when you're removed from it but want to visit it again.

when it kicks in, it is really like you are there, and the body reacts as such. I used to use it as a technique for training for AFF going out the door, and I could feel the increase in heart rate, my body position and balance as i tipped going out, the acceleration, the coldness of the air and it's rush, even the perspective above the clouds... once in that, i could work on what i wanted to without having to get into a plane.
jackh

Post by jackh »

RobStubbs wrote:As Richard says, visualisation takes time and practice. Some people can never get it to click and I struggle to get it to be realistic. As you describe it's fuzzy and a bit distant. If you try and visualise the most important bits first and then add in detail and in a proper time sequence. So I would advise visualising the sight picture first and then build it up. It may help you if you write down your work cycle in detail, and then work on cue words, until you can visualise it all.

Rob.
I guess I am one of those who can not visualize. Or maybe I just do not get it. I can fleetingly "see" a familiar person in my mind, but I don't really see an image. It is the same with the sights. I have a hard time understanding what I understand about visualizing. Only been shooting pistol since 1969.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

then there is the downside...

...when you visualise a great shot as you are firing - but the visualisation is stronger than the actual parts of the (abysmal) shot process. Bad enough for a precision shot, but a disaster in Rapid Fire Pistol!
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Don't make it harder than it is. You "visualize" all the time when you dream, when you daydream, when you plan a route to any location. when planning a trip to the store, thinking about your wife/girlfriend/kids, etc.

The real problem is learning to direct your visualization to the shooting process. First you have to have a (to begin with, WRITTEN) process (shot routine). Step by step, everything you do from picking up the gun, to calling the shot and confirming the call; then the next shot begins using the SAME routine.

Once you have the routine, memorize it, then close your eyes and go through the memorized routine while adding the sights and FEELING you get when firing. Most new shooters have trouble getting started unless they are "talked through" the shot. You can do that with a simple voice recorder.

Always visualize yourself doing each of the actions in your routine PERFECTLY, and always with PERFECT results. Done correctly your brain doesn't know the difference between the visualized shot and physically completed shot. Don't forget to include "congratulating yourself for the good shot" as part of the shot routine.
westerngriz

Post by westerngriz »

thats interesting that you mention dreams. My dreams have always been very vague. Like i am looking through fogged glass.
I will talk to my coach David Kimes. He knows all about this stuff.
One thing that I did try that really helped was a drawing technique that I heard about. Essentially you study a wall for about five minutes. Not just a blank wall but one with a few things on it. Then you turn around and draw the wall on a piece of paper. No art degree stuff just do your best to get all the proportions correct and the things on the wall in the correct spot. After this becomes easier you move up to more difficult walls (more stuff. irregular shapes). I am still doing the very basic walls. with like a door and a few pictures.
Just something that seems to have helped the past few days.
matt
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Spencer wrote:then there is the downside...

...when you visualise a great shot as you are firing - but the visualisation is stronger than the actual parts of the (abysmal) shot process. Bad enough for a precision shot, but a disaster in Rapid Fire Pistol!
Visualisation is a training aid / tool. To be conducted prior to actually shooting. I may for example run through a 'perfect shot' whilst seated having a rest, or (and) I may visualise a perfect sight picture whilst breathing before the raise.

Part of the benefit is as a distraction technique if you get a little nervous or anxious. It takes the mind away from the outcome of past shots and scores.

Rob.
lastman

Post by lastman »

Have you tried doing visualization exercises when your at the range.

One of the keys to effective visualization is being able to factor in little things. If you do it at the range it is not hard to be able to visualize things that would naturally be on the range meaning you only have to work on visualizing the shot process which becomes a whole lot easier.

It can be used as a very effective warm up technique.

Good luck
2650 Plus

Visualation

Post by 2650 Plus »

I Recomend you start with Pat McCoys sugestion and begin by writing down the sequence you use for your best shots. Next is a clear understanding that stray and distruptive thoughts interup your shot process and to eliminate them you must control the thoughts that occur while executing the shot sequence.This { In my opinion ] Is a primary reason for using this technique. Start by giving yourself verbal commands that paralel the shot process. The rythem should be the same as the shot delivery on your most perfect shots. As you progress,change fron words to the feel of the shot sequence. Use a picture of perfectly alligned sights with the target exactly centered in the front sight apperature to establish what you want to see whan the trigger finger moves. Totally convince your self that this will always result in a center hit on the target. use only positive thoughts in your visualation and shot preparation. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

One thing I do for visulaization exercises is take one of my better A-23 bulls (0-5X) and cut a square around it. I then taped it to a wall in my office about 10 feet away and across from my desk. While I'm on calls I can look and visualize the perfect circle with clean, crisp edges. My eye follows the circumference slowly until I realize I'm looking at the entire bull at once like I would be through my irons.

When I get to the range to practice, I'm now very accustomed to the bull visually, and can call the difference between a 10 and an X on a per shot basis.

A second follow up exercise is a shooting action. I shoot the same bull until I pull a bad shot. Consistent shooting, same bull, cuts down on wasted targets and trips downrange to change out the target, much more eyeball time on the bull. 20-30 shots on a single bull is not uncommon. Brought my wife to the range to spot my shots one afternoon and bored her to death!