A moving point of aim

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Packard

A moving point of aim

Post by Packard »

I took up airgun shooting to improve my firearms skills. I practice shooting with a standard "Olympic" one arm style, and a two hand modified Weaver stance.

When I shoot with the one arm stance my shots are grouped around the bulls-eye.

When I shoot with the 2 arm stance the grouping moves about 2" to the left.

I am right handed and right eyed.

Is this a natural phenomenon, or am I doing something wrong? I would imagine that the point of aim would remain the same. I am using the same sights in the same manner.

Confused.

Regards,

Packard
Lars

Re: A moving point of aim

Post by Lars »

Packard wrote:I took up airgun shooting to improve my firearms skills. I practice shooting with a standard "Olympic" one arm style, and a two hand modified Weaver stance.

When I shoot with the one arm stance my shots are grouped around the bulls-eye.

When I shoot with the 2 arm stance the grouping moves about 2" to the left.

I am right handed and right eyed.

Is this a natural phenomenon, or am I doing something wrong? I would imagine that the point of aim would remain the same. I am using the same sights in the same manner.

Confused.

Regards,

Packard
My initial inclination is that the grouping might normally move up or down depending on the distance between your eyes and the sights, but not generally left and right.

- Just as an experiment: do you see the same phenomenon if you use an isosceles hold?
- Do the sights move when you dry fire or do they stay still and aligned?

-If you are hitting straight to the left, perhaps your trigger finger is too far into the trigger guard, such that it touches the side of the grip. You may not be moving the finger straight back, but at an angle. The gun may then move left when the shot breaks.
-Try to hold the sight picture for a moment after the shot breaks.
- You may be moving more of your hand than just the trigger finger when firing. Only the trigger finger should move.

The above comes partly from my own thinking and also from shooting-educational sources. Hope this helps.
Packard

Post by Packard »

Thanks for the reply. The groups are fairly tight either way--a little better on the two hand hold.

Another strange point is that I have to move the Merit iris to a different position for the two hand hold. I have not figured that out either. I think the two might be related.

I'll shoot some more and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks for the reply.

Packard
jackh

Post by jackh »

Unless your grip is absolutely consistent each time, your group will move from string to string. With my 208 from a rest, my groups can shift across the ten ring on the next string. You would think the rest provides consistency. But not for the grip.

Post by Guest »

so shooting one handed you are dead-on, but shooting with both hands gripping the pistol the shots move to the left...I've experienced something similar. Could it be how you are holding the pistol with the two hands. Sometimes one hand it pulling one direction without you noticing. I noticed that with two hands, my trigger finger lines up differently, and would pull diagonal and move the shots. There is also a little diagram that floats around the internet about where your shots land and what is wrong...here's a link that has one version of the diagram.

http://hellinahandbasket.net/?p=217
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

are you masking your non dominant (left) eye? I have seen some people whose dominance is so slight that when they moved the gun to the left as you are probably doing when you shoot two handed their left eye was looking at the sight and that could cause the shift that you are experiencing.
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

Its all in the grip. When you shoot PPC my weak hand barricade aiming point on a silhouette target is shaded outside the ten ring to the left and a shade down.The reason is my left wrist or weak hand is more resistant to flex than my right wrist. Also my left wrist is weaker in the vertical so the bullet exits higher in the recoil phase. In bullseye I have two shooting styles- non wind and wind. on a windy day I use a lot of stiff grip and arm strenght while trying to reduce my body profile. I rezero my sights on my 45 three clicks down and 1 to the left. Surprisingly your weaver stance is less resistant to barrel torque: ergo it prints left. A straight isosoleses stance should print down and to the right. Hope this helps