BUYER BEWARE!!!

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Rover

BUYER BEWARE!!!

Post by Rover »

Be careful when buying a gun with iron sights. The sights have a short shelf life and in a few years become all fuzzy!
Oz

Post by Oz »

So THAT'S what's going on... I'm sure this is what's responsible for my drop is scores recently! I'm buying some fresh new sights right away. I *know* my scores will go back up.

How often would you suggest replacing the old sights? Maybe every 2 years? I've heard that the members of the US National team get new sights every 6 months. But sheesh! Why not! They get their new sights for free.

Oz

Post by Guest »

This is not just a problem with iron sights - those red dots and cross-hairs deteriorate into a fuzzy mess too!
westerngriz

Post by westerngriz »

I have never seen this... The sights might get worn but not fuzzy?
matt
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

westerngriz wrote:I have never seen this... The sights might get worn but not fuzzy?
matt
Ah! The inexperience of youth...
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I've noticed that even new guns are being supplied with fuzzy sights
katana

True?

Post by katana »

Are you serious? Why do i feel as if some serious black humour is doing the rounds. :-)

Katana

Post by Guest »

I thought they were supposed to be fuzzy.

so I just learned to shoot that way :-P

-Abi
peterz

Post by peterz »

And I thought it was just my eyes...

Would non-fuzzy plastic sights be legal, or would they melt?
Freepistol

Re: BUYER BEWARE!!!

Post by Freepistol »

Rover wrote:Be careful when buying a gun with iron sights. The sights have a short shelf life and in a few years become all fuzzy!
Great post!!!
It really helps to have a sense of humor when one shoots a pistol in competition.
william

Post by william »

I'm sure every manufacturer is different, but generally where is the spring located that makes them bounce around so much?
Packard

Post by Packard »

I had that problem too, but I got some Un-Fuzz solution and applied it to the sights and it cleared it right up. No damage to the blueing either.

This is made by the same people who produce In-Focus Solution (for out of focus negatives) so you know it is a quality product.

The photo end of their business is in a steep decline, but luckily the Un-Fuzz is taking off like a bandit.

See: www.IRS.gov
Rover

Post by Rover »

peterz wrote:And I thought it was just my eyes...

I had the plastic ones on a GAMO Compact AP. The rear sight melted when I tried to blacken it by smoking.
sakoarms

Post by sakoarms »

Packard wrote:I had that problem too, but I got some Un-Fuzz solution and applied it to the sights and it cleared it right up. No damage to the blueing either.

This is made by the same people who produce In-Focus Solution (for out of focus negatives) so you know it is a quality product.

The photo end of their business is in a steep decline, but luckily the Un-Fuzz is taking off like a bandit.

See: www.IRS.gov

Bwahahaha. That was great!
zoned

Post by zoned »

Rover wrote:
peterz wrote:And I thought it was just my eyes...

I had the plastic ones on a GAMO Compact AP. The rear sight melted when I tried to blacken it by smoking.
What were you smoking?
infantrytrophy

Better idea ...

Post by infantrytrophy »

No, you don't need springs or un-fuzz solution.

All you need is new batteries -- clears it right up. Be sure to get the lithium-ion rechargeable ones. Buying alkaline batteries repeatedly gets expensive after a while.

Make sure you use fresh batteries for important matches.

This is probably just a rumor, but I heard that Anschutz is going to introduce a new sight that is powered by compressed air via a bleed-off valve directly from the compressed air tank in your air rifle. No need for batteries! Smallbore shooters are out of luck - you have to stick with batteries, or the obsolete un-fuzz solution.

Randy
katana

LP 10 OPTION

Post by katana »

My Lp 10 sight is always clear, in fact it has a new sensor. The moment the pistol acquires the ideal sight picture, an electrical impulse is fired at the trigger finger. The nuero dermal shock results in a definite pressure being applied. 10.7's are the norm Steyr is doing a recall as they are disappointed that they can't gaurantee a 10.10 yet. I however, am not sending my pistol back so close to the Asian Games and all.
Roodaddy600

Post by Roodaddy600 »

I wanna know where you heard national team members get their sights for free?? You are mistaken on that....
robf

Post by robf »

my sights are clear, however my rifles have all developed wobbly barrels... is this a related fault?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Roodaddy600 wrote:I wanna know where you heard national team members get their sights for free?? You are mistaken on that....
The reason you don't hear about it is that they are usually attached to a complete pistol. The manufacturers are kind of close-mouthed about that.