What is the mechanism?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Packard

What is the mechanism?

Post by Packard »

For years I've shot firearms (Gov't .45 mostly) in a two hand modified Weaver stance.

I got the pellet gun to improve my pistol shooting.

When I first started shooting my IZH 46M I tried to use a two hand hold (but it really does not work with that grip and cocking mechanism so I reverted to a one hand hold).

My first attempts at shooting with a one hand hold had the front sight floating all over the place, but over a period of just one week that has diminished markedly. Indeed, I noticed improvements with each shooting session.

So this cannot be a result of a strength gain--you don't make strength gains on a daily basis over a period of one week (plus I've been lifting heavy weights for 43 + years and a 3 pound pistol is not going to have much effect even over an extended period of time).

So what is the mechanism that is allowing me to settle my sight picture so much better over this brief period of time?
justadude

Post by justadude »

This falls under the category of the subconscious and nervous system learning what it takes to keep the pistol under control one handed.

To simplify things, the conscious gives directions for what we want. (fuzzy ball balanced on top of clearly focused front sight) It is up to the subconscious to figure out all the muscle control required to make it happen. It is impressive how quickly the subconscious can work out how things are going to respond so you don't overcontrol and quit shaking around as much.

That is your simplified answer.

It is very impressive how effective a small amount of practice 4-5 times a week can help to develop skills.

Cheers,
'Dude
Packard

Post by Packard »

Thanks for the reply. It makes sense to me. I am rather amazed with the results I'm getting.

However I am not working towards my goal of improving my two hand hold shooting doing this.

Can you suggest a modestly priced air gun with reasonable accuracy capabilities that will allow a 2 hand hold? I'd like to train with both the two hand hold and the one hand hold.

Regards,

Packard
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Are you sure it hasn't helped your .45 shooting? Have you given it a try?

Why not make a .45 style grip for the IZZY/
peterz

Post by peterz »

Beeman's P2 and P3 (I think) are ".45 style". With similar grip sizes to the ".45"
Packard

Post by Packard »

Pat McCoy wrote:Are you sure it hasn't helped your .45 shooting? Have you given it a try?

Why not make a .45 style grip for the IZZY/
The cocking mechanism gets in the way of the 2 hand grip. I thought of removing the base of the grip but the cocking mechanism will still be in the way.

I don't know if it has helped or not yet, but if I follow the concept that the secondary muscles are learning subconciously what they need to do to hold the weapon steady, then it would be a big advantage to practice in the same gripping mechanism as my standard shooting.

Or, as an extension of one of my principles of exercising: "Train your muscles the way you intend to use them." Then I would benefit from shooting in the same manner as I would intend to shoot in real life.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Packard,

You must have large hands, as I just tried my wife's IZZY with a 2 hand grip and the only problem is the excess wood in the grip (which would not be there with a .45 style grip). The only way I can get the cocking lever in the way is to use a "cup" grip instead of the usual "palm to palm" grip.

Training muscles for specifics is fine, but at higher levels of shooting it is more a matter of training the un-conscious to release the trigger at the correct time. I think seeing the sight picture and getting good trigger release with the one hand hold will carry forward to the two hand position.

Would you try it, and let me know if you see any change with 2 hands. If not, I'll need to re-assess my thinking.
Packard

Post by Packard »

Pat McCoy wrote:Packard,

You must have large hands, as I just tried my wife's IZZY with a 2 hand grip and the only problem is the excess wood in the grip (which would not be there with a .45 style grip). The only way I can get the cocking lever in the way is to use a "cup" grip instead of the usual "palm to palm" grip.

Training muscles for specifics is fine, but at higher levels of shooting it is more a matter of training the un-conscious to release the trigger at the correct time. I think seeing the sight picture and getting good trigger release with the one hand hold will carry forward to the two hand position.

Would you try it, and let me know if you see any change with 2 hands. If not, I'll need to re-assess my thinking.

I have a cold now, but I will re-visit the two hand hold in a couple of days when I am feeling better.

I have not shot my handguns in a while, I let my carry conceal permit expire when I moved. The new application is in, but it takes 8 months in my area for it to be processed, so that means 8 months of airgun practice before I can test the results.

But it has been fun so far (and very convenient and cost effective) so I will probably stick with it regardless.