How to get VAT money back when ordering from Europe?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
franw

How to get VAT money back when ordering from Europe?

Post by franw »

Has anyone order pistol/rifle from European dealer and got their VAT (value added tax) back?

VAT is 20%?
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

You should get the dealer to remove the VAT at the time of sale. Larger dealers will already do this (Frankonia for example will do this). Smaller dealers sometimes don't fully understand the system and don't fully understand that VAT does not need to be charged for non-EU export orders. Getting the VAT back one the item has already left Europe and has been paid for can be very difficult (if not impossible).
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

They should just not charge it to you if they are shipping it out of the country or the EU. I've never bought a whole pistol but have bought many parts and they just take the VAT off at time of purchase, so there has been no need to get it refunded. When I was i germany and bought stuff I just got it refunded at the airport prior to leaving.
derekm

Post by derekm »

A VAT registered business in Europe should not charge VAT on an order from outside the EU.

In the UK however, very small businesses/cottage industries are not required to register for VAT, but equally cannot reclaim the VAT they pay on supplies. A purchase from a non-VAT registered business will therefore contain a VAT element from the supply to that business.

Also, if an individual procures something for a friend outside the EU, VAT will have been paid and cannot be reclaimed.
peterz

Post by peterz »

I have bought a pistol from inside the EU for shipment to the States. Any honest dealer will automatically deduct the VAT from the price he charges you. To estimate a tax free German price, divide the with-tax price by 1.19.