Commonwealth Games - Shooting Disciplines

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Alexander

Commonwealth Games - Shooting Disciplines

Post by Alexander »

The Commonwealth Games have begon, the athletes are giving their best, indianshooting.com and its facebook counterpart are reporting every day... but who is soundly asleep and attempts to ignore the whole event?

The ISSF on one hand; and British Shooting on the other hand. Not that this attitude would not be somewhat typical for the badly designed and badly maintained British Shooting website. :-(

Alexander

Post by Guest »

Neither have any input to the Commonwealth Games, but feel free to make up whatever nonsense you desire.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Alexander they're not ignoring them by choice, they don't have the rights to them and they really have nothing to do with them.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

That was the silliest answer of the year, I am afraid.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Well Alexander how many sources do you need to tell you the same info? It's on the Commonwealth Games web site, what do you think would be on the ISSF web site?
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

I am not sure to what your comment pertains. But definitely NOT to the posting that opens the thread. In fact, it does not even make the slightest sense *intrinsically*, without any reference. If you feel like it, feel free to comment on the thread topic itself.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

On the other hand, if you only wanted to defend the walking cartoon of a sports body that "British Shooting" is, then you could put up a far more convincing and more powerful defence. You could simply point out that they did not even report on British shooters' performance in the ISSF world championships (Heaven forfend, if they did, gullible people might be deluded into thinking they are actually doing some kind of job!); so how - argumentum a maiore ad minus ! - could they then be expected to mention such a thing as mere Commonwealth Games?!

Alexander
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I think my comment is exactly on the topic of the original post.
My post is in regards to your complaint the the ISSF is "asleep" in reporting on the Commonwealth Games

Please explain why the ISSF should be reporting on the Commonwealth games and what you believe their role is in the games, if I'm so wrong.

As for the British Shooting Federation I don't know nor care what they do.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Richard H wrote:Please explain why the ISSF should be reporting on the Commonwealth games
The Commonwealth Games are even listed in their calendar and - please do now visit the ISSF website - the ISSF does daily reports on the world's current shooting news (lower left corner). Furtheron, this is not an alien - IPSC or an IDPA - competition, but the CG shooting disciplines are mostly ISSF disciplines, and all shooters there are member of ISSF federations.
As for the British Shooting Federation I don't know nor care what they do.
As is your right.

Alexander

Post by Guest »

Look up Alexander's previous post's and you'll see this thread is going no where constructive
lastman

Post by lastman »

Alexander, people have the right to disagree with you.

There is no need for ISSF to be covering the Commonwealth Games, especially since they don't have the rights to cover it. Same as the Olympic Games.

The other reason is that there is no real demand from the majority of their membership for them to cover the event. Most scores being shot are not enough to raise an eyebrow in the shooting world. If records were being shot then there would be more demand from a greater number of ISSF members.

In Australia there is coverage on the AISL website and even main stream media. As for British Shooting, it is their own fault if there is insufficient coverage as it is their responsibility to generate interest with media providers and reports. It is the responsibility of that associations members to put people into positions of power that will represent the sport.
bruce

Post by bruce »

As it's the constituent parts of GB competing at the games, Scotland, England etc, British Shooting has no part to play in the games at all.
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

Yes, the Commonwealths are shot to ISSF rules, but are not an ISSF-sanctioned event. The ISSF have no input. I'm not sure if you can even be officially recognised for setting/equalling (what would be) world records there.
For instance, the Malcolm Cooper Range at Bisley - which was used for the 2002 Commonwealths - is not even an ISSF Class-1 range.

Likewise, being the Commonwealths, each home nation has sent it's own team - England/Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland/Falklands/Isle of Man/Channel Islands.

British Shooting has no input. Although the constituent members of the GB squad are all there, the "GB squad" is not, as they are split between their separate home nation squads.
The fact that with the exception of Scotland, none of the home nations have a properly serviceable website to post results on has little to do with the fact British Shooting have no involvement!

You might as well as why the ISSF are not publishing the scores from the British Championships! They're shot to ISSF rules, but the ISSF are simply not involved in any way, shape or form!
Alexander wrote: The Commonwealth Games are even listed in their calendar and - please do now visit the ISSF website - the ISSF does daily reports on the world's current shooting news (lower left corner).
Yeah, but not on the Olympics, and not on the Commonwealths, neither of which they have media rights for.
robf

Post by robf »

Alexander wrote:That was the silliest answer of the year, I am afraid.
Well, i thought the first post that opened the thread was more silly, especially from someone proporting to know what they're talking about.

Try sharpening your axe on that chip of yours instead of trying to pick the bones out of thin air.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Hemmers wrote:Yes, the Commonwealths are shot to ISSF rules, but are not an ISSF-sanctioned event. The ISSF have no input. I'm not sure if you can even be officially recognised for setting/equalling (what would be) world records there.
No they can't
Hemmers wrote:The fact that with the exception of Scotland, none of the home nations have a properly serviceable website to post results on has little to do with the fact British Shooting have no involvement!
Don't forget the TENS web site which has daily comment from the English perspective.
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

David Levene wrote:Don't forget the TENS web site which has daily comment from the English perspective.
Ah, my bad. Didn't realise the TENS site was carrying commentary. Looks better than I remember it - have they updated it recently?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Hemmers wrote:Ah, my bad. Didn't realise the TENS site was carrying commentary. Looks better than I remember it - have they updated it recently?
About a year ago I think.

The webmaster is part of the England team management in Delhi so the commentary will have to fit in around his team duties.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Hemmers wrote:
Alexander wrote:The Commonwealth Games are even listed in their calendar and - please do now visit the ISSF website - the ISSF does daily reports on the world's current shooting news (lower left corner).
Yeah, but not on the Olympics, and not on the Commonwealths, neither of which they have media rights for.
Once again this insipidity.
Media rights are absolutely not an ISSUE here at all. Do you need media rights granted from Saint Peter before you can report about a thunderstorm? Did David Cameron have to grant the papers any "right" so they they be "allowed" and "able" to report about his election results?

*shakes head about the joint stupidity of the assorted dwellers from a parallel universe*

Once again: updating your website daily and reporting about the results of a large international competition, or about the performance of your nation's top shooters has NOTHING at ALL to do with "media rights".

Alexander
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Alexander wrote:Once again: updating your website daily and reporting about the results of a large international competition, or about the performance of your nation's top shooters has NOTHING at ALL to do with "media rights".
Have you tried complaining direct to the ISSF, you are after all in the same country as them. Maybe you could telephone them and let us know what they say.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Yes, I do phone them on occasion - professional contacts, usually with one of the junior Schreibers -, and yes, we do speak German then. But the issue at hand pertains to Marco dalla Dea, and he is *not* located in Germany. My poor Italian might barely suffice though.