GSP VS GSP Expert

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
dartvidar

GSP VS GSP Expert

Post by dartvidar »

I have the old Walther GSP, year model 1986 (walther 100 years anniversary). I have installed the new GSP Expert Blue natural laminated Grip, and the 2 stage trigger from GSP Expert.

My question is, can I install the new round barrel and vibration damping/Recoil damping from GSP expert on my old type GSP (1986 model) ?

The sighs have been moving rewards on the GSP expert compare to the old GSP. How will this work if I install the new GSP Expert barrel and barrel weight where the front sight is moved rewards on the old GSP bolt housing. I think the rear sight is mounted more forward on the old bolt housing compare to the new GSP Expert?

Another question, do the 2262213 barrel weight with recoil damper 75gr fit on the old GSP? How will it be fastened on the old GSP?

Do the GSP Expert magasin fit on my GSP?

Thanks to every body who answer my questions.
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

Basically Yes, all the expert parts will fit the older guns. If you have access to a lathe, the GSP barrel can be turned down and the "Expert" shoud/recoil damper" can be installed over it. A hole will need to be drilled in the second arch to take the front sight screw - the screw hole should still be there in the barrel as you will not cut that deeply. The process of locking the shroud to the barrel requires 4 4mm by 6mm long set screws that do not come with the shoud. You put in two and then two more into the same holes to lock them - without this, even with locktite they will vibrate loose. Oh, the locating pin is on the opposite side and needs a new hole located and drilled into the receiver. I've now done four of them, so am getting familiar with the process. Good luck.
Cheers --- Dr Jim
dartvidar

Post by dartvidar »

Thanks Jim for the fast answer. The GSP convertion you did, did you feel big difference in the performance of the weapon after the convertion? Is it worth the time and money to make this convertion?

How did it work with the sights after the conversion? The sight line will probably be shorter, because of the front sight is moved back compare to the old GSP? Shorter sight line, wouldnt that create bigger chance for sight error?
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

JIm I seem to remember that there was a locating pin on the shroud that goes into a hole on the receiver too. I tried putting my friends Expert assembly on my GSP a few years back to test it. The pin comes out but then you lose the alignment of the shroud. I could be wrong as it was 4 or more years ago I tried it, but it does fit it just looks like it requires a little machining.

PS. Just saw that you mentioned the pin at the bottom of your post.
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

In regards the sights. Since I drilled the shroud arch to accept the sight's screw I did not change the sight radius - still the same as on the original. The big thing is that it is going to be MUCH more muzzle heavy - the Expert barrel is about 1/2inch of steel with an aluminium sleeve around it. I used to use the GSPs for NRA with red-dots on top, but the weight increase with the shrouds was too much for this old guy and I removed all the electronics and have relegated them to ISSF match use. There they do well, though it almost seems to be wasted effort for CF since there is no sustained fire.

Locating the alignment pin IS a pain, but use of care and mechanics blue helps you get there.
Dr Jim
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I used the older Walther GSP for many years and finally purchsed a GSP Expert when my son started shooting. I could not really tell any difference, perhaps I am recoil insensitive.