Another one of my SB Rig's

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Tanktrek

Post by Tanktrek »

Al freeland - BSA Martini International Mark II, Prone Shooting.

Used mainly for home range smallbore prone matches and mini Palma.
Attachments
Photo09292134.jpg
Last edited by Tanktrek on Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jason

Post by Jason »

I've always thought these were nice rifles. Has anyone ever developed a more modern stock for them? I'm thinking something along the lines of an aluminum or tube design -- and maybe some way to mount more modern sights (like the Centra 10-50). Just saying. . . .

Jason
Tanktrek

Post by Tanktrek »

Some people have developed them into very fine benchrest shooting platforms. MT Guns even has a program for this very thing.
The Mk III, IV, V's would more than likely lend themselves to 3-P shooting with a differant rear stock than the MK I, II.

As far as sights are concerned, a good machinest would be able to make another mount for attaching a differant rear sight.

Ron
sandy22

Post by sandy22 »

Jason wrote:I've always thought these were nice rifles. Has anyone ever developed a more modern stock for them? I'm thinking something along the lines of an aluminum or tube design -- and maybe some way to mount more modern sights (like the Centra 10-50). Just saying. . . .

Jason
Not mine, I hasten to say, but one someone posted here or on Stirton or similar a couple of years back.

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?ph ... user=28081
Jason

Post by Jason »

Now that is cool! Modify it for a G+E or Precise butt assembly and a machined, free-floating fore end and you'd be all set.

Jason
CRSSAteammember

Post by CRSSAteammember »

i used to shoot a lighter weight martini when i first started 3-p my father shot the heavier not sure on the models. VERY VERY nice and accurate rifles
tenpointnine

Martini

Post by tenpointnine »

I posted those pictures. Rifle is BSA Mk2, with aluminium stock made by my local gunsmith George Simpson, now retired to Scotland, who also polished the blueing off. When I first got it I thought it was a stainless barrel.

The action is glued into the stock so the barrel is free-floating. I later bought a block from Gemini and had it inletted into the butt so I could use my Gemini butt-plate. I have some pictures somewhere.

I sold the rifle to Chris White, former England full-bore team captain and writer for Target Sport, who sadly died a few months ago, so I have lost track of it now.

It was a lovely rifle, but VERY heavy.

Walter in England
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

An aside to the above, I knew someone who located a quantity of unused BSA barrels and had one fitted to an Anschutz 1813 action. The result was an accurate but heavy rifle. IIRC the remainder of the barrels went to France.

Rutty