LP10E shoots too high?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
compscotty

LP10E shoots too high?

Post by compscotty »

I'm a novice AP shooter with an LP10E. I've got the rear site almost down all the way but i still have a sub-6 aim. It shoots really high so i have to aim well below the bull to get a 10.

Is there something wrong with the pistol?

scott
las vegas, NV
Dev

Sub six hold

Post by Dev »

Hi,

Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the pistol. Most ten meter shooters use a sub six hold. So you should be fine doing the same.

Regards,

Dev
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

This may sound stupid, but are you adjusting the sights in the proper direction? When I adjust the sights on my Steyr it always takes me a moment to remember that "H" is what I want to do when the shot is ALREADY high, unlike most other guns where the "H" would be the DIRECTION you want to more. Same thing for windage: "L" to move the shot to the right, "R" to move the shot to the left.
madmull

Post by madmull »

What could help is adjusting the grip
there are 4 screws at the bottom

this video can help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_4oMXIeZOY

good luck

mull
Tolkach

Post by Tolkach »

TomAmlie wrote:This may sound stupid, but are you adjusting the sights in the proper direction?
I believe the Steyr sights follow the 'right hand rule.' If you curl the fingers of your right hand in the direction you turn the screw, your thumb points in the direction your sights (shot) will move.

cm
compscotty

Post by compscotty »

TomAmlie wrote:This may sound stupid, but are you adjusting the sights in the proper direction? When I adjust the sights on my Steyr it always takes me a moment to remember that "H" is what I want to do when the shot is ALREADY high, unlike most other guns where the "H" would be the DIRECTION you want to more. Same thing for windage: "L" to move the shot to the right, "R" to move the shot to the left.
Yes i'm adjusting them in the right direction. I did experience the H and L confusion a while back but i'm fine now. I guess a sub six aim is what everyone else uses.
FredB

a possibility

Post by FredB »

Since you are properly adjusting your sights, I'd like to suggest another thing to check. Depending on the grip and on the adjustment of the grip, it's quite possible on the Steyr for the rear sight to hit the grip and lose a good bit of downwards adjustment. The easiest way to check this is to remove the grip, and then carefully observe the rear sight as you replace the grip and tighten up the grip screw. If the rear sight is hitting the grip, you'll see it move up. Then it's just a matter of filing away the offending part of the grip. My Steyr rear sight easily goes low enough for a center hold - so should yours.

HTH,
FredB
Cones

Post by Cones »

Is the plastic spacer that fits under the action in the grip missing? If so this will create the problem you are having.

It is normally fitted on the LP10 and removed to fit the LP50 action.

HTH

Mark
Makris D. G.

Post by Makris D. G. »

I don't think the grip would fit at all without the spacer.
It would hit the rear sight well before seating properly.

edit:
Its an LP10E, no spacer...
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I always thought that Steyr, like Morini (and probably others) made taller front sights to solve this problem (but I could be wrong).

You might not find them on any web sites but it might be an idea to have a chat with your local Steyr distributor.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

Perhaps your front sight or your rear sight is not seated properly. If grip touches the rear sight as fellow shooters posted, it will make sights unusable.

Second reason could be the gun itself from the factory (perhaps a front sight with not correct height).

Another reason could be your glasses if you wear. The best lens position is perpendicular to the eye. Normal eyeglasses tend to distort things when we view them through the border of the lens.

Best advice is find another fellow shooter with an LP10 series Pistol. Try them both and compare them. It could point you with whats going wrong.
ruig

Post by ruig »

Last spring i tried center hold method and was able to hit center with my lp10. No problems with sights. Rear sight blade was about 2mm above the grip.
I was able to achieve my usual scores.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

If everything else checks out alright, put something under the front sight, plastic spacer or something. No big deal. The described grip issue is quite common, though, it's pretty easy to adjust the Steyr grip so it will touch the rear sight.
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

Cones wrote:Is the plastic spacer that fits under the action in the grip missing? If so this will create the problem you are having.

It is normally fitted on the LP10 and removed to fit the LP50 action.

HTH

Mark
Had the same problem with a LP@ when changed grip. Since in my case it was a small difference, I placed a spacer under the front sight. Worked fine, but the rear site was always being forced up by the grip.

The spacer in grip is the definitive solution.
Chris

Post by Chris »

I have about a 45deg angle on my grip. I ended up buy some longer screws to put on the bottom of the frame so I could achieve the angle I wanted. I also cut my grip on the back to make space for the sights. The grip I started with is an older Morini grip which came with my LP1. The part of the grip near the sites have less material than later models. Later model grips may require longer screws to space off the grip to get the angle you want.
jump

Re: LP10E shoots too high?

Post by jump »

compscotty wrote:I'm a novice AP shooter with an LP10E. I've got the rear site almost down all the way but i still have a sub-6 aim. It shoots really high so i have to aim well below the bull to get a 10.

Is there something wrong with the pistol?

scott
las vegas, NV
Im new here and a complete novice so please excuse me if I get it wrong. But shouldn't you be setting your rear sights higher if you want to lower your shots?
David Levene

Re: LP10E shoots too high?

Post by David Levene »

jump wrote:Im new here and a complete novice so please excuse me if I get it wrong. But shouldn't you be setting your rear sights higher if you want to lower your shots?
No, you have to make the rear sight (the one closest to your eye) lower if you want your shots to go lower.
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

The sights and their adjustments on the Steyr and other German Sights, will make you nuts---If you are shooting High Turn the site towards the H; Conversely if you are shooting Low then turn towards T. The Symbol T in German is Tiefe for LOW, the Symbol H in German is for Hoch for High. Fortunately The R & L are for Rechts und Links, or right and Left. Once again if you are shooting to the right turn towards R, conversely if shooting Left turn towards the L. "Doc"
jump

Post by jump »

Thank you David and Doc, you guys are are spot on my confusion was the same as here:-viewtopic.php?t=24179

Look forward to learning a whole lot more from all of you here.

Regards,
Jump
Doc226

Post by Doc226 »

Have you tried clamping the gun and shooting it? Not a way to sight in but it may be you instead of the gun.