What to look for in a spotting scope?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

keithwwalker

What to look for in a spotting scope?

Post by keithwwalker »

Will likely be shooting 25yd/25m what optical power would I need?
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

Generally 20X is used. Recently I looked through a Burris landmark straght 20X and was surprised how clear it was. I think it was around $80 and I think it was as clear as my $200 Kowa. We even use these to 50 yards.
ricchap

Post by ricchap »

I have an adjustable magnification scope 20X-60X and is way more than enough. I use 20X at 25 yds and 30X at 50 yds and I can read the numbers on the target. I bought it on sale for $99. Do not spend big bucks on a scope unless you plan to use it for hunting.
keithwwalker

Post by keithwwalker »

Thanks everyone, sounds like a ratio of approximately 1.0x magnification for every 1.5yd/1.5m
Globesmasher17

Post by Globesmasher17 »

Some good feedback there.
To add to the original question (I'm new to the sport) .............

What kind of spotting scope specs would I need for small bore shooting at 25m, 50m and 100m?
Would a 12x - 50x work fine?

There just seems to be a prethora of spotting scopes out there and I feel like I am comparing apples to oranges sometimes while I shop around looking for something within a budget.

Many thanks
GS
Rover

Post by Rover »

A decent quality 20X eyepiece will be perfectly satisfactory for your needs.
A crappy zoom will not be. They are usually decent only in the center of their range.
zoned

Post by zoned »

Rover wrote:... They are usually decent only in the center of their range.
All you need to see clearly are the four center rings of the target.
Globesmasher17

Post by Globesmasher17 »

zoned wrote:All you need to see clearly are the four center rings of the target.
So, 20x will be good for that at 100 metres/yards ........????

Thanks.
GS
ricchap

Post by ricchap »

You will need more than 20X to be able to read the target numbers at 100 yds. I use 30X at 50 yds to get a clear picture of the target, so I don't think 20X will be enough. I asked around today at the range and I was told 40-50X is about what most people use at 100 yds. An adjustable 15X-50X will work great for you. I bought a Tasco 20x-60X for $99 on sale and works great. No need to get anything fancier.
Xman

Post by Xman »

ricchap wrote:You will need more than 20X to be able to read the target numbers at 100 yds. I use 30X at 50 yds to get a clear picture of the target, so I don't think 20X will be enough. I asked around today at the range and I was told 40-50X is about what most people use at 100 yds. An adjustable 15X-50X will work great for you. I bought a Tasco 20x-60X for $99 on sale and works great. No need to get anything fancier.
Huh?? target numbers at 100yds/ms?? rifle rules say you must be able to read the target numbers, unaided from the firing line so 50 x is overkill. All you have to see is the bullet holes and that can be accomplished via a large objective lens (60mm minimum) and maybe 25X. When you add magnification you add mirage distorstion, ground vibration effects, etc. VERY few adjustable mags optics offer clear viewing. Maybe at the upper $$$ ranges. Also factor is the scope stand, how close you can position it to YOUR position without moving NPA, head position, elbows and so on. Yes I know that all our eyes are different and the suns' position can be a factor as can be group size. But a 20x or 25x with a 60mm objective, and maybe a right angle eye piece is a newbie best all around choice for SB.

My advice to the newbie..go to a few 50 and 100yd/meter shoots, look and see, ask a few questions of the other shooters. ALL will be willing to let you take a peek through there scopes if you just ask...
Globesmasher17

Post by Globesmasher17 »

Great advice and input.
Thanks guys.

Cheers
GS
David M

Post by David M »

For 25-50m, get a 20x fixed lens, with as big a front lens as possible 60mm or better, and to sit on a bench get a angled 45 deg eye. Easier to bend and look thru. Also get a good medium size tripod, makes life easier.
westerngriz

Post by westerngriz »

I use a kowa scope with a 27X LER eyepiece. And i would say about 50 % of the shooters at my range use the same thing.
They Long Eye Relief eyepiece is nice because you dont need to get your eye as close to the scope.
And the 27 power is fine for seeing the bullet holes at 100. unless the mirage picks up. then nobody can see the holes. (i live in socal and we can get real heavy mirage)
matt