A real begginers question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
silentfury214

A real begginers question

Post by silentfury214 »

Hey,
I know this is a very simple question, but when i am looking through the sights, do i line them up with the bottom of the target, or do i line them up with the middle?
Thanks!
chuckjordan

Bottom

Post by chuckjordan »

the bottom.

Our host, Pilkguns, has some good articles in the Coaching section. Take a look around. http://www.pilkguns.com/menu_coaching.shtml

Also google and find other articles. Enjoy!
RB6

Post by RB6 »

Good question ..............

Here's my take

Bottom of target , i suspect you mean bottom of black , that hold is called the 6 o'clock hold and is probably the least productive because one will try to pull the trigger when the sights line up with the bottom of black and usually ends up with a poor shot

Holding center of black otherwise known simply as center is very popular and can be very productive . The theory here is to simply hold center of mass the best you can while squeezing the trigger usually results in a good shot

Holding sub six o'clock is also very popular as one tries to squeeze the trigger when the sights are appoximately 2 or more scoring rings below the black. This technique can be very productive .

Revisiting the 6 o'clock hold again, one can turn this not so good technique into a very good one by holding one scoring ring up from the
bottom of the black .

The above techniques are all controversial in how they are used and the best advice is to try them all and use the one that you find most comfortable with, that will likely give you the best results

I have tried them all and prefer center of mass for reasons many and varied

Spencer

Post by Spencer »

if you are looking at the target to see where your sights are aligned with it (the target), you are not looking at the front sight.

Look at, focus at, and focus on the front sight.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

The Googles are light on image search for this one.

Center hold:

Sub-six hold:

Feel free to link with attribution to the original source (Creative Commons BY NC ND).
lastman

Post by lastman »

Couple of excellent answers... and probably less of a beginners question than 1 might initially think.

As Spencer said if your looking at the card you are not looking at the sights. It requires a massive leap of faith to completely commit to focusing 100% on the sights, especially as a beginner.

Lots of holding training will give your body a feel your natural aiming area and you will then be able to totally dedicate yourself to the sights.

You also need to have the discipline not to go from the sights to the card and back. This puts tremendous strain on your eyes and you will not be able to see as well as a result.

Lots of dry firing on a blank card is the best way to start developing this skill.

Good luck