Testing .22 with scope

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BM

Testing .22 with scope

Post by BM »

Living in Europe I have tested R50 ammunition at the RWS factory (I have Anschütz 1913 barrel with 2013 alu stock).
Marksman however tell me that a second test with a scope from a solid stand is needed to make a final decision.
Can anyone tell me how this works? What is the procedure? What's the setup (type of scope)? Any info appreciated!
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

You'll get a bunch of different answers from this. Some people think testing from the shoulder is most effective, the scope changes the barrel harmonics changing how the rifle shoots with metallic sights, blah, blah, blah.

I don't have the resources to test for the best available ammo, so I have to settle with the best I can get. I'll buy 100 rounds of 5-10 lots of ammo. Using the torque setting from my previous lot, I find which 2-3 lots shoot the best at 100 yards from my shoulder, iron sights. I then test those lots at 50 yards (and 100 again if I need to). Lastly, I experiment with torque settings to find where the new ammo shoots best. My last lot shot best at 32inlb, my current 35.

For what you're looking at doing, you need a rest that is well mounted and will not move when the rifle is fired. Some people swear by rests that allow the rifle to recoil. Next you shoot groups (5-10 shots) and measure them for consistency and size. Using a scope on a properly mounted and designed rest seems redundant to me since the rest should always point at the same exact point, but if you don't have such a rest, the scope will be necessary to assure proper aim.

There is at least one other thread on here about testing, and probably many more. Search for them and see what everyone said on those.
Dave IRL

Post by Dave IRL »

I guess it's a lot easier this side of the Atlantic, but I'm a big fan of just getting the ammo tested at the factory, then leaving well alone and shooting it. I can definitely say I don't envy you the lengthy testing process you've to deal with once you start hitting decent scores.
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

My method is no where near the long side of what people do. Here's the one I heard that takes the punch:

- Buy 100 rounds of 20 lots of ammo
- Fire all 100 shots in 10 shot groups at 100 yards using settings for previous ammo lot and measure groups
- Buy a brick of the top 5 and test again at 100 yards using bloop tube tuner to find best tuner settings for each lot
- Buy large amount (many cases) of best lot and test to find best torque setting for lot
- Make sure you've bought all of that lot you can find so you don't have to do this for a very long time
Dave IRL

Post by Dave IRL »

To be honest, I mostly just buy ammo of reasonable quality, do a quick test to see whether it shoots okay, then buy more. Sending my rifle to Lapua next spring though for testing and buying in 5,000 of whatever looks right.
yana

Post by yana »

The factory ammo used for the test target is not necessarily the most accurate ammo. Its just the 1 they happen to use.
I'm in europe as well, with 2 anschutz rifles. 1 loves RWS R50, 1 loves Eley match EPS.
I rest it very simply, on a beanbag or something. Sometimes even a bipod.I first find out what hold it likes best. Sounds weird maybe, but more/less pressure in the shoulder etc, álso makes a difference while shooting rested! When I found its favourite hold, I start testing ammo. I usually stick with RWS Eley and Lapua. RWS and Eley are usually very close in groupsize. I test at 25m mostly.
I shoot a few groups, than change ammo and redo it.
It might need to get used to new ammo lube though. So my first group is just a tester.
Waisted

Post by Waisted »

Excuse my ignorance, but what is "torque"? I know what the word means, but not in the context of testing ammo, or anything to do with rifles!

Torque refered to is ...

Post by Guest »

The force with which the screws holding the stock and action together are tightened.
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

Yep, I've been referring to the amount of torque I use to tighten my 2 bedding screws. It's a cheap way to tune your rifle if you don't want to invest the time and money into a tuner. This won't make a bad lot shoot great, but you definitely see differences in group size.

Re: Torque refered to is ...

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:The force with which the screws holding the stock and action together are tightened.
Technically, the force times lever arm.